In 2023, the best tactical backpacks aren’t just for soldiers anymore. Every man needs a tactical backpack to be prepared for any situation. A tactical backpack is designed to provide the wearer with a secure and comfortable way to store and transport essential items. Tactical backpacks are designed with compartments and pockets for organizing and storing items like food, first-aid kits, survival gear, and other important items. The packs also feature adjustable straps and sternum straps for maximum comfort, and many have extra padding for added protection in the event of a fall or other impact. Tactical backpacks are perfect for the outdoorsman, providing a secure, comfortable way to store and transport the essentials.
So, whether you’re hiking, mountaineering, fishing, or just want a solid “bug out bag” – a bag that that contains everything you need to survive for 72 hours in an emergency situation – tactical backpacks have you covered.
What to look for in the best tactical backpacks
In the abstract, tactical backpacks are equipped to keep you alive in emergency situations. In a more concrete sense, tactical backpacks are more rugged, more durable, and have more pockets than normal backpacks.
The best tactical backpacks have two central qualities:
Above all, tactical backpacks should be able to handle any situation the elements or the universe may throw at them. They’re designed for military missions, and they should be constructed from high-quality materials (such as high Denier nylon or Japanese YKK zippers).
The compartments – both interior and exterior – of a tactical backpack need to allow you to organize your gear efficiently and intuitively. In an emergency, you have to know where your stuff is, as it’s not hyperbolic to say that your life may depend on it.
Now that we’ve cleared up the basics, we’ll break down five of the best tactical backpacks in existence in 2022.
Tier 1 (Under $150)
1. Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack
The Skinny: Kelty is also a label that you can find in your neighborhood REI, meaning it carries a mainstream gravitas that makes some hardcore users balk; nevertheless, the best-selling Redwing 50 is an accessible, lightweight pack that gets the job done on shorter jaunts.
This Kelty model is all about trademarked features. The LightBeam single aluminum stay will make your journey extra pleasant, keeping your load from shifting around on you. Moreover, many users swear by the Dynamic AirFlow back panel, which really does keep your back aired out and cool all day long.
You can also get a great deal of mileage out of your Redwing 50 in everyday situations – it certainly wouldn’t look too out of place just walking around the city, backpacking through Europe (many users used it for just that purpose), or even heading to class or your job.
It was nearly impossible to find a user who had anything bad to say about the Redwing 50. Though it’s not the biggest bag, it carries everything you need and nothing you don’t with remarkable dependability.
2. The 5.11 Tactical Rush 24 Backpack
The Skinny: On Amazon, the 5.11 Tactical Rush 24 has been reviewed by 703 different people. Despite that immense volume, the Tactical Rush 24 is averaging a 5-star review. That right there should tell you all you need to know about the pack’s quality.
A number of different sources have called this one of the absolute best tactical backpacks on the market. And they’re not wrong.
Holding up to 2275 liters of your most important gear, the Tactical Rush 24 keeps it simple with four pockets: a main compartment, two dual-zipping side pockets, and a stuff-it pocket with a drawcord.
The fleece handle and the Japanese YKK zippers are of the highest quality – 1050 Dernier nylon is the highest we’ve seen so far – and the water-resistant coating, the comfortable shoulder straps, and the compression straps that can strap on extra gear all give this pack a little something extra.
Ultimately, the Tactical Rush 24 is just built from the best materials in a simple and intuitive design that’s everything you need out of your pack. If we could pick just one pack from our list, the Tactical Rush 24 is the chosen one, no questions asked.
3. Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack
The Skinny: Though the Tactical Rush 24 is a pretty much impossible act to follow, the Maxpedition Falcon-II puts up a darn good fight.
Coming in a wider variety of colors than any of the other packs on the list, the Falcon-II expresses a visual personality, both in color and in design.
Boasting Japanese YKK zippers that are top of the line and 1000 denier nylon, the Falcon-II is certainly well constructed, if not quite as well as the Tactical Rush 24. With polyurethane and Teflon coatings, the Falcon-II stands up to the elements as well as any other pack. The shoulder straps contour to your chest and the simple compartments expand in a way that contours perfectly to whatever load you’re carrying.
One drawback – the pack itself is pretty heavy, even when it’s empty. Though this isn’t a game breaker, the longer you use the pack, the more you’ll notice the extra weight you’re carrying.
That said, nearly everything else about the pack is exceptional. Certainly worth an investment if you like the design.
Tier 2 (Over $150)
4. Eberlestock Halftrack Hunting Pack
The Skinny: Very small and minimalist – perfect for 2-3 day use, and used by many as a bug out bag – the Halftrack Hunting Pack is certainly one of the gold standards of the tactical backpack industry.
Coming in a variety of black, tan, green, and camouflage colors, the Halftrack is built from 1000 Denier nylon. It contains two hydration kits (3 liters each) in addition to two hydration sleeves (2 liters each), so you’ll have enough water to get you home safely.
The zippers are big and easy to use, and the Halftrack even includes a pull-out rain cover. A number of different compartments make your stuff relatively easy to organize.
A few drawbacks – it could use straps on the bottom to carry a sleeping bag or other gear and the water bottle pouches aren’t well thought out. Nevertheless, the main compartment is excellent, and the auxiliary compartments can hold oddly shaped things. Overall, it’s a highly versatile pack that is an excellent bug out bag
Here are 5 more of the best sellers to check out:
- Military Tactical backpack size approx.:13"*20"*11" / 33*50.5*28CM (W*H*D),Capacity: 40L; Military backpack is made of high density fabric--durable and water-resistant
- Molle tactical backpack has molle system, Molle webbing throughout for attaching additional tactical pouches or gear as 3 day assault pack backpack combat molle backpack.
- Assault pack backpack with double-stitched, Heavy duty zippers and utility-style cord pulls, Side and front load compression system, Ventilated mesh padded back area & shoulder strap,breathable and...
- Military backpack has hydration compatible that works great for a hydration bladder (backpack didn't include hydration bladder) as hydration backpack or outdoor camping hiking backpack.
- Tactical assault pack backpack can be used as 3 day assault pack, range bag, hunting backpack, survival backpack, army backpack, trekking backpack or day pack for daily use
- LARGE CAPACITY - Military tactical backpack size approx.:12"*20"*13" / 30*50*33CM (W*H*D) Capacity:36L, This tactical military assault backpack is made of durable and water-resistant 600x600 Density...
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL - This tactical assault pack have 2 main compartments, 2 small compartments in front, and a back compartment for a hydration bladder. Each of the compartments has variety pockets to...
- COMFORTABLE & TOUGH - The shoulder straps are padded and adjustable and the waist belt expands enough. The thick mesh padding back area and shoulder straps will not pinch you under heavy duty. Thick...
- ARMY MOLLE SYSTEM - The front and both sides come with MOLLE system, Molle webbing throughout for attaching additional tactical pouches or gear as 3 day assault pack backpack combat molle backpack....
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Two years warranty and if any question contact us firstly, we will do everything to help. Honor warranty claims! Package Included: 1 Tactical backpack, US Flag patch,...
- RELIABLE & DURABLE MATERIAL: 17.1 x 11.1 x 6.1 inches, Capacity: 24L; The Wakizashi Backpack is made of high density fabric-durable (100% Polyester) and has 1475 cu. inches
- MOLLE SYSTEM: Mole webbing throughout for attaching additional tactical pouches or gear
- COMFORTABLE & FUNCTIONAL: Heavy duty zippers and utility-style cord pulls, load compression system on both sides, top carry handle, Velcro patch holder, ventilated mesh padded back area & shoulder...
- HYDRATION COMPATIBLE: You will be able to quench your thirst whenever you roam with a hydration bladder pocket featuring a hose port for easy access to H2O (hydration reservoir sold separately)
- ENSURED VERSATILITY: This army assault backpack is an absolute must-have for every man or woman who is frequently camping, hiking, trekking, traveling or someone who is a fan of outdoor, survival...
- 【Large Capacity Tactical Backpack and Multi Compartments Military Backpack】Regular Size: 14.5’’x 21’’x 8’’. Expandable Size: 14.5’’x 21’’x 13’’. Main compartment expands...
- 【Multipurpose and Casual Laptop Backpack for Men Women 】 This backpack is made of *Water Resistant* and durable 600D material, suitable for outdoor activities. This backpacks can be used to...
- 【Expandable Backpack Water Resistant】This backpack cab be expanded by zipper on the side. The thickness of the side can be switched between 8 'and 13', and the maximum packet capacity can reach...
- 【Convenient and Practical in Daily Life】1. Water bottle mesh pocket in the side. It is convenient for you to drink water in outdoor activities. 2.The shoulder strap Molle system can be loaded with...
- 【Large Capacity】Approx dimensions:20’’x12’’x12’’, Capacity: 40L.Large enough to carry all your tactical gears.
- 【Heavy Duty Rucksack】Military backpack is made of 900D Oxford fabric, durable and waterproof.
- 【Military Molle Backpack】Tactical backpack has a Molle system, which can attach additional tactical pouches as a 3-day assault pack backpack combat molle backpack.
- 【Multifunctional Compartments】Spacious military backpack has multi-compartment and dual-zippered closure pockets including an interior zip pocket and mesh pocket for added storage options, which...
- 【Satisfication Guaranteed】We offer a free exchange/refund service within 45 days after purchase and ONE-YEAR Limited Warranty for you. Don’t hesitate to contact us if there is any problem.
Get Your Tactical Backpack Today!
A tactical backpack is essential for anyone who needs to be prepared for any situation. It provides a reliable and convenient way to store and transport all the necessary gear that one might need in an emergency or in a situation where one must be prepared. The tactical backpack is much more than simply a bag to store items; it is designed to provide the user with a quick and easy way to access their gear and supplies in an efficient manner. Additionally, a tactical backpack often includes various compartments and pockets that make organizing and storing items easier and more organized. This allows the user to quickly identify and access the items that they need without having to rummage through the entire bag. Furthermore, many tactical backpacks are designed to be waterproof and are constructed out of highly durable and tough material, ensuring that the user’s gear remains safe and dry in any weather. Ultimately, a tactical backpack is a must-have for anyone who wants to be prepared for any situation.