In 2023, the best tactical backpacks aren’t just for soldiers anymore. Every man needs a tactical backpack to be prepared for any situation. A tactical backpack is designed to provide the wearer with a secure and comfortable way to store and transport essential items. Tactical backpacks are designed with compartments and pockets for organizing and storing items like food, first-aid kits, survival gear, and other important items. The packs also feature adjustable straps and sternum straps for maximum comfort, and many have extra padding for added protection in the event of a fall or other impact. Tactical backpacks are perfect for the outdoorsman, providing a secure, comfortable way to store and transport the essentials.
So, whether you’re hiking, mountaineering, fishing, or just want a solid “bug out bag” – a bag that that contains everything you need to survive for 72 hours in an emergency situation – tactical backpacks have you covered.
What to look for in the best tactical backpacks
In the abstract, tactical backpacks are equipped to keep you alive in emergency situations. In a more concrete sense, tactical backpacks are more rugged, more durable, and have more pockets than normal backpacks.
The best tactical backpacks have two central qualities:
Above all, tactical backpacks should be able to handle any situation the elements or the universe may throw at them. They’re designed for military missions, and they should be constructed from high-quality materials (such as high Denier nylon or Japanese YKK zippers).
The compartments – both interior and exterior – of a tactical backpack need to allow you to organize your gear efficiently and intuitively. In an emergency, you have to know where your stuff is, as it’s not hyperbolic to say that your life may depend on it.
Now that we’ve cleared up the basics, we’ll break down five of the best tactical backpacks in existence in 2022.
Tier 1 (Under $150)
1. Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack
- Redwing is a tried & true trail value for all day hikes or a quick overnight, a true multipurpose pack from international travel to a day on the trail
- Perfect Fit Suspension supplies you w/ customized comfort without the hassle, accurate on body adjustments w/ 3 simple steps for pack fitting success
- Features: Top Loading,Zippered side pockets, front pocket w/ organization, Stretch front pouch, Hydration Compatible, Side compression straps
- Suspension Features: Perfect Fit Suspension, HDPE frame sheet, Hex Mesh back panel, ventilating back , Sternum strap, Load lifter strap
- Dimensions: Size (L x W x D) 26 x 16 x 12 in, Weight 3 lbs 11 oz, Volume 50 L, Torso Size 15.5 - 21 in.Reinforcement fabric:Poly 75x150D tasser coal
The Skinny: Kelty is also a label that you can find in your neighborhood REI, meaning it carries a mainstream gravitas that makes some hardcore users balk; nevertheless, the best-selling Redwing 50 is an accessible, lightweight pack that gets the job done on shorter jaunts.
This Kelty model is all about trademarked features. The LightBeam single aluminum stay will make your journey extra pleasant, keeping your load from shifting around on you. Moreover, many users swear by the Dynamic AirFlow back panel, which really does keep your back aired out and cool all day long.
You can also get a great deal of mileage out of your Redwing 50 in everyday situations – it certainly wouldn’t look too out of place just walking around the city, backpacking through Europe (many users used it for just that purpose), or even heading to class or your job.
It was nearly impossible to find a user who had anything bad to say about the Redwing 50. Though it’s not the biggest bag, it carries everything you need and nothing you don’t with remarkable dependability.
2. The 5.11 Tactical Rush 24 Backpack
- Quite simply the best tactical military backpack on the market. This Rucksack bug out bag features a roomy main storage area, dual zipping side pockets and a stuff-it pocket with integrated draw cord...
- Rush24 Tactical Molle bag has a reinforced grab-and-go handle, hydration pocket, zippered fleece-lined eyewear pocket and wrap-around MOLLE/SlickStick web platform
- Military Backpack has 2275 cubic inch / 37 liter total capacity with Twin drainage grommets, and self-repairing YKK zippers. Perfect to use as a patrol backpack or trekking pack
- Also has three mesh admin compartments, zippered side water bottle pocket and a hook and loop area for nametape and flag patches. Water-repellant coating and has two external compression straps and a...
- The Rush24 tactical military backpack can be used as a multipurpose pack, bug out bag, range bag, hunting backpack, survival back pack, army backpack, sling bag, hiking rucksack, or every day outdoor...
The Skinny: On Amazon, the 5.11 Tactical Rush 24 has been reviewed by 703 different people. Despite that immense volume, the Tactical Rush 24 is averaging a 5-star review. That right there should tell you all you need to know about the pack’s quality.
A number of different sources have called this one of the absolute best tactical backpacks on the market. And they’re not wrong.
Holding up to 2275 liters of your most important gear, the Tactical Rush 24 keeps it simple with four pockets: a main compartment, two dual-zipping side pockets, and a stuff-it pocket with a drawcord.
The fleece handle and the Japanese YKK zippers are of the highest quality – 1050 Dernier nylon is the highest we’ve seen so far – and the water-resistant coating, the comfortable shoulder straps, and the compression straps that can strap on extra gear all give this pack a little something extra.
Ultimately, the Tactical Rush 24 is just built from the best materials in a simple and intuitive design that’s everything you need out of your pack. If we could pick just one pack from our list, the Tactical Rush 24 is the chosen one, no questions asked.
3. Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack
- Category name: gear-bags-and-accessories
- Country of origin: Vietnam
- Brand name: Maxpedition
- Main Compartment: 18"(H) x 9.5"(W) x 4.75"(D)
- Secondary Compartment: 16"(H) x 8"(W) x 3"(D)
The Skinny: Though the Tactical Rush 24 is a pretty much impossible act to follow, the Maxpedition Falcon-II puts up a darn good fight.
Coming in a wider variety of colors than any of the other packs on the list, the Falcon-II expresses a visual personality, both in color and in design.
Boasting Japanese YKK zippers that are top of the line and 1000 denier nylon, the Falcon-II is certainly well constructed, if not quite as well as the Tactical Rush 24. With polyurethane and Teflon coatings, the Falcon-II stands up to the elements as well as any other pack. The shoulder straps contour to your chest and the simple compartments expand in a way that contours perfectly to whatever load you’re carrying.
One drawback – the pack itself is pretty heavy, even when it’s empty. Though this isn’t a game breaker, the longer you use the pack, the more you’ll notice the extra weight you’re carrying.
That said, nearly everything else about the pack is exceptional. Certainly worth an investment if you like the design.
Tier 2 (Over $150)
4. Eberlestock Halftrack Hunting Pack
- The F3M Halftrack is an extremely versatile and popular 3-day pack. It features two levels of varying-sized tuck-pockets lining its interior, MOLLE-style Padlock webbing racks inside and out, and a...
- The pack has a Gossamer polycarbonate frame, is comfortably padded with deep-cut airmesh foam, and is well ventilated. This pack also includes a removable raincover that is deployed via a zipper on...
- Pack Specs: Total Volume: 2,150 c.i. | Weight: 6 lbs 7 oz | Dimensions main bag: 24"h x 11"w x 7"d
- It will carry two 3-liter hydration kits, mounted in side pockets, or two 2-liter bladders in side-sleeves if you want to keep the main side pockets free for other gear.
- RECOMMENDED FOR: Law Enforcement General | Military 72 hr. Assault
The Skinny: Very small and minimalist – perfect for 2-3 day use, and used by many as a bug out bag – the Halftrack Hunting Pack is certainly one of the gold standards of the tactical backpack industry.
Coming in a variety of black, tan, green, and camouflage colors, the Halftrack is built from 1000 Denier nylon. It contains two hydration kits (3 liters each) in addition to two hydration sleeves (2 liters each), so you’ll have enough water to get you home safely.
The zippers are big and easy to use, and the Halftrack even includes a pull-out rain cover. A number of different compartments make your stuff relatively easy to organize.
A few drawbacks – it could use straps on the bottom to carry a sleeping bag or other gear and the water bottle pouches aren’t well thought out. Nevertheless, the main compartment is excellent, and the auxiliary compartments can hold oddly shaped things. Overall, it’s a highly versatile pack that is an excellent bug out bag
Here are 5 more of the best sellers to check out:
- Military Tactical backpack size approx.:13"*20"*11" / 33*50.5*28CM (W*H*D),Capacity: 40L; Military backpack is made of high density fabric--durable and water-resistant
- Molle tactical backpack has molle system, Molle webbing throughout for attaching additional tactical pouches or gear as 3 day assault pack backpack combat molle backpack.
- Assault pack backpack with double-stitched, Heavy duty zippers and utility-style cord pulls, Side and front load compression system, Ventilated mesh padded back area & shoulder strap,breathable and...
- Military backpack has hydration compatible that works great for a hydration bladder (backpack didn't include hydration bladder) as hydration backpack or outdoor camping hiking backpack.
- Tactical assault pack backpack can be used as 3 day assault pack, range bag, survival backpack, army backpack, trekking backpack or day pack for daily use.
- RELIABLE & DURABLE MATERIAL: 17.1 x 11.1 x 6.1 inches, Capacity: 24L; The Wakizashi Backpack is made of high density fabric-durable (100% Polyester) and has 1475 cu. inches
- MOLLE SYSTEM: Mole webbing throughout for attaching additional tactical pouches or gear
- COMFORTABLE & FUNCTIONAL: Heavy duty zippers and utility-style cord pulls, load compression system on both sides, top carry handle, Velcro patch holder, ventilated mesh padded back area & shoulder...
- HYDRATION COMPATIBLE: You will be able to quench your thirst whenever you roam with a hydration bladder pocket featuring a hose port for easy access to H2O (hydration reservoir sold separately)
- ENSURED VERSATILITY: This army assault backpack is an absolute must-have for every man or woman who is frequently camping, hiking, trekking, traveling or someone who is a fan of outdoor, survival...
- LARGE CAPACITY - Military tactical backpack size approx.:12"*20"*13" / 30*50*33CM (W*H*D) Capacity:40L, This tactical military assault backpack is made of durable and water-resistant High Density...
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL - This tactical assault pack have 2 main compartments, 2 small compartments in front, and a back compartment for a hydration bladder. Each of the compartments has variety pockets to...
- COMFORTABLE & TOUGH - The shoulder straps are padded and adjustable and the waist belt expands enough. The thick mesh padding back area and shoulder straps will not pinch you under heavy duty. Thick...
- ARMY MOLLE SYSTEM - The front and both sides come with MOLLE system, Molle webbing throughout for attaching additional tactical pouches or gear as 3 day assault pack backpack combat molle backpack....
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Two years warranty and if any question contact us firstly, we will do everything to help. Honor warranty claims! Package Included: 1 Tactical backpack, US Flag patch,...
- This Military Tactical Backpack is Equipped with 10 D-Rings to Make it Easy for you to Hang the Accessories of the Backpack. Tactical Backpack Size Appro: 13inch x 20inch x 13inch Dimensions and...
- Military backpack is Made of 600x600 Density fabric,Tactical Backpack is Reinforced and Double Stitched at All Stress Points. There are 2 main compartments, 2 small compartments in front, and a back...
- This Black Tactical Backpack Molle tactical backpack has molle system, Molle webbing throughout for attaching additional tactical pouches or gear.MilitaryTactical backpack with double-stitched, Heavy...
- Military Backpack has Hydration Compatible that Works Great for a Hydration Bladder (Backpack Didn't Include Hydration Bladder) as Hydration Backpack or Outdoor Camping Hiking Backpack.
- Tactical Backpack Can be Used as 3 Day Hiking pack, Hunting Backpack, Survival backpack, Army Backpack, Trekking Backpack.
- ✅【Lifetime Warranty】 Lifetime promise each backpack will be free to repair or exchange. We will provide an excellent and friendly after sales service for you. If you have any problems with...
- ✅【Multi-Compartment】 Military tactical gear 3 day backpack has large compartment to hold 45-50 liter. There are 2 main compartments, 2 small compartments in front, and a back compartment for a...
- ✅【Durable Material】 The tactical backpack is well made of waterproof material and nylon fabric with metal zippers; There has lockable metal zippers in large pocket to protect your valuables from...
- ✅【Comfortable & Protection tough】 The shoulder straps are padded and can be adjustable, the waist belt expands enough. The thick mesh padding back area and shoulder straps will not pinch you...
- ✅【Molle & Multipurpose】 The molle tactical backpack has molle system, molle webbing throughout for attaching additional tactical pouches or gear as 3 day assault pack bug out bag backpack combat...
Get Your Tactical Backpack Today!
A tactical backpack is essential for anyone who needs to be prepared for any situation. It provides a reliable and convenient way to store and transport all the necessary gear that one might need in an emergency or in a situation where one must be prepared. The tactical backpack is much more than simply a bag to store items; it is designed to provide the user with a quick and easy way to access their gear and supplies in an efficient manner. Additionally, a tactical backpack often includes various compartments and pockets that make organizing and storing items easier and more organized. This allows the user to quickly identify and access the items that they need without having to rummage through the entire bag. Furthermore, many tactical backpacks are designed to be waterproof and are constructed out of highly durable and tough material, ensuring that the user’s gear remains safe and dry in any weather. Ultimately, a tactical backpack is a must-have for anyone who wants to be prepared for any situation.