When it comes to preparing game, specifically deer, you need a knife that can be trusted to get the job done again and again. That means a knife that can keep a keen edge, hold up to some serious hunting abuse and of course a knife that looks the part too!
The best deer skinning knife, suitable for most people is the Benchmade HUNT.
The HUNT gets our Editors Choice for its excellent rating on Amazon and also the quality extras that come with it, such as leather sheath and lifetime warranty. (Read more about this product and our review here)
If the Benchmade HUNT is unavailable or out of stock for some reason, the Buck Knives PackLite is our runner-up.
Top 4 Skinning Knives For Deer 2022 Comparison Table[table id=15 responsive=collapse responsive_breakpoint=phone /]
1. Havalon Piranta Z Folding Blade
- Our best selling knife is the perfect hunting companion for faster, easier skinning and field dressing of any kind of wild game
- Blaze orange handle is stain resistant with an easy-grip black rubber inlay, liner-lock construction and a pocket clip
- Includes 12 additional surgically-sharp replaceable #60A blades at 2.75" in length, ensuring you always have a superior blade in hand
- Open knife measures 7.25" in length; fits 60A and 60XT blades; heavy duty stainless steel blade & military grade polymer handle
- Features ambidextrous thumb studs and an open back for easy cleaning & care; nylon holster included
Handle Material: ABS Plastic
Blade: Stainless Steel
Length: 2 3/4″ blade (7 1/4″ open length)
What we love about the Havalon Piranta is that there is never any knife sharpening necessary as it comes with a pack of 12 replacement blades you can snap right on and continue about your business.
No need to carry an additional sharpening stone and strop, which is perfect for skinning large game such as deer.
The handle is made from a combination of a lightweight Zytel composite and a high grip ABS plastic with comes in orange and black.
The thumb studs allow for a swift one-handed opening which is perfect when you’re out in the field and the blade locks open so there’s no risk of it slipping and causing injury.
2. Buck Knives PackLite Field Master
- 3.5" skinning blade, 2.5" caping blade plus gut hook ring all with Orange Traction Coating. 420HC Steel delivers Excellent Strength, Edge Retention, and Corrosion Resistance, Total weight 12 oz.
- Overall Length skinning 8", caping 6.75", Guthook, 4.0" Minimalist design for easy, lightweight carry
- Skeletal steel frame with blade control cutouts for detailed movements, Advanced Edge2x blade technology and easy clean design
- Includes heavy-duty black nylon sheath with removable liners for easy cleaning and zipper storage compartment built in; Holds all three knives
- Buck Forever Warranty, Made in the USA
Handle Material: Stainless Steel
Blade: Stainless Steel
Length: skinning 8″, caping 6.75″, Guthook, 4.0″
Buck Knives are one of the most popular and well-known brands and are known for their robustness and value for money and the PackLite Field Master is no different.
With 3 functions, all designed to aid the skinning process, this knife has is a total of 8″ long when used as a skinning blade, when Capping you have 6.75″ of length and when using the Guthook a generous 4″.
As the name suggests, this knife is extremely lightweight yet strong thanks to it’s 141 stainless steel makeup.
It comes with a heavy-duty nylon sheath from which you can remove the inner liners for easy cleaning and to remove any blood and dirt that may get in there.
If you are to go for the combo deal, you get 2 knives, all various sizes that come with a sleek black coating that aids grip when your hands are wet.
3. Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite Folding Hunting Knife
- FOLDING HUNTING KNIFE WITH THE SHARPNESS OF A SERGEON'S SCALEPEL - Never sharpen your knife blades again. Change blades fast and easy! When a blade goes dull, simply remove and insert a shaving-sharp...
- RAZOR-SHARP REPLACEMENT KNIFE BLADES - 3.5" Japanese 420J2 stainless steel blades are precisely heat-treated to ensure excellent edge retention then hand-finished shaving sharp. Includes 6 blades...
- STRENGTH OF TRADITIONAL SKINNING KNIVES – The Rigid 420J2 BLACK-OXIDE stainless steel blade holder supports the razor blade for the strength of a traditional field dressing knife with the sharpness...
- RUBBERIZED NON-SLIP TPR HANDLE – Nonslip TPR handles are mounted to a sturdy 420J2 stainless steel frame for unparalleled strength and durability while providing a secure, non-slip grip even in the...
- SERVICE FOR LIFE – Outdoor Edge Knives & Tools produces quality cutting tools that are built to last; If you have a problem with your Outdoor Edge knife contact us; we address all replacement and...
Handle Material: Rubberized TPR
Blade: Stainless Steel
Length: Overall 8″, Blade 3.5″
Much like the Havalon Piranta above, the Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite is both a folding knife and one that accepts replacement blades, which means no more sharpening.
These kind of knives are popular amongst hunters and the Razor0Lite comes with 6 replacement blades included.
For carrying, this deer skinning knife comes with a nylon belt sheath in a Mossy Oak camo color which can hold the knife AND 5 additional blades.
4. Benchmade HUNT Small Skinning Knife
- BUILT FOR THE HUNT: Simplicity and style meets unmatched function, no matter the application; An ideal hunting knife capable of countless tasks in the field.
- AMERICAN MADE CPM-S30V STEEL: For first-rate edge retention and corrosion resistance; Drop-point with wide blade radius makes breaking down game a breeze.
- STABILIZED WOOD HANDLE: Is made from a durable composite material that's been backfilled with resin; Stands up to a range of harsh elements and environments; Stronger than natural wood.
- SUPERIOR TACTICAL USE: The full-tang, fixed blade construction provides enhanced stability when in use; Leather belt loop sheath for easy access; Lanyard hole for versatile carry options.
- EVERYDAY CARRY: With its slim profile, compact size, and lightweight design, the Hidden Canyon Hunter 15016-2 is the perfect addition to your EDC collection, backpack, survival kit, tackle box, and...
Handle Material: Dymonwood
Blade: Stainless Steel
Length: Overall 6.32″, Blade 2.67″
Another popular choice is the HUNT Skinning Knife from Benchmade.
If you’re looking for a wood handled skinning knife, then this is our pick of the bunch and is wildly popular with users who score this knife 4.9 out of 5.
The HUNT comes with a free smith sharpener to keep the blade razor sharp for when you need it most and also a premium brown leather sheath which has a belt loop for easy access. It is also backed by Benchmade’s lifetime warranty.
If you like this knife but you are looking for a different style of handle, check out the gray G10 model here.
To wrap up our review of the best skinning knife for deer, we have awarded the Benchmade HUNT our editors choice award.
This knife is by far the most versatile and robust available for skinning game.
The extras such as the knife sheath, sharpening tool and lifetime warranty that Benchmade offer with this product means you get much more for your money and will have a product that can be used for years to come.
Once you have skinned your game and you are interested in making your own ground venison, come see our best meat grinder for venison review page.