As a member of the axe family, the best tactical tomahawk can be a vital addition to any survivalist’s kit. It’s also a versatile tool for anyone heading into the wilderness, or even simply with a variety of home maintenance tasks to hand that requires a reliable approach.
A Tactical Tomahawk is a modern version of the traditional axe, designed to provide a versatile tool for many outdoor tasks. It is typically made of durable, high-grade steel and features a straight, lightweight shaft with a sharpened, curved blade on one end.
The Tactical Tomahawk is an excellent choice for outdoorsmen and survivalists who require a reliable and convenient tool for a wide range of activities. The Tomahawk is ideal for cutting branches and wood for firewood, for digging trenches or holes, for self-defense and rescue, and for a variety of other tasks. It is also a great choice for hikers and campers who want to travel light but still want to be prepared for any situation. The Tomahawk’s lightweight and durable design allows for easy transport and use.
In summary, the Tactical Tomahawk is an incredibly versatile and useful tool for outdoorsmen, hikers, campers, and survivalists alike, providing the perfect combination of convenience, portability, and reliability.
Why Choose a Tactical Tomahawk?
The long lists of tasks you can accomplish with a good tomahawk is second only to the small size, convenient carry shape and light weight of these versatile tools. There’s a reason they’ve become a cinematic trope for survival situations. For anyone who wants to be prepared, it’s one of the most useful tools and weapons you can have in hand.
From chopping wood, hunting and opening containers to breaking your way out of buildings, defending yourself, and breaking glass, the lists of practical tasks a tomahawk will help you with is almost unending. Aided in part by the light and portable design, this makes them a must for any survival bag or well-stocked toolbox.
Tactical tomahawks seek to combine the versatility of use, they will often feature spike or knife backs and pry-bar handles to allow for maximum options in a minimum package- with lightweight construction.
Lightweight, however, doesn’t mean weak. The construction of a good tomahawk will be perfectly balanced to make it a strong, durable tool in your hands while maintaining a weight that doesn’t kill your muscles as you carry it.
Most will ship with their own carry bag, and many can be carried by lanyard as well as in the hand.
It’s important to be sure that the design you choose meets the tasks you most expect to need well. It should offer a blade large enough for the chopping work you anticipate doing, with a firm strong handle from which the head cannot realistically separate easily. The handle needs to be tough and durable without adding excessive weight to the design.
Cutaways that are properly placed will help lighten the load without destroying the strength of the axe head. A good, grippy handle is a must, and some form of anti-corrosion on the steel is always useful although not essential.
Rust can be polished away, and if you care for your tools right it shouldn’t even occur, but it would be simpler for you if the care and upkeep of the tactical tomahawk were a little easier. Above all, it should have a handle design and axe head balance you feel comfortable wielding.
1. SOG Tactical Tomahawk
- SOG AXE WITH BITE: At 15.75 inches, these hatchets and hawks are built to swing fast and true; these hawk axes feature a razor-sharp 420 stainless steel hatchet blade
- 24 OUNCE AXE: Light yet heavy-duty, hatchet is a superb survival axe and fire rescue tool; hawk boasts a sleek black blade finish for added durability
- EMERGENCY AXE WITH SOG TOMAHAWK SHEATH: This woodsmen-meets-urban tactical tomahawk snaps securely in its ballistic nylon sheath; includes belt loop for 1.5-inch belts
- HAMMER AXE EDGE AND PIERCING SPIKE: FastHawk tactical survival axe features a flat edge for hammering and a spike for chipping; an emergency kit tool first, but versatile to handle small wood chopping...
- SOG FOR LIFE: Take care of your SOG tomahawk throwing axe and we’ll take care of you; we gladly consider repairs and replacements for your properly maintained SOG FastHawk hatchet
If you’re looking for a versatile and reasonably light choice for all your obstacle removal, extraction, breaching and excavation needs, the SOG tactical tomahawk may well be the right tool for you.
The tough ballistic polymer of the handle offers a 2.75-inch axe head of stainless steel, and the overall design is reminiscent of a successor to the Vietnam Tomahawk. This particular unit has a lifetime warranty, too.
- Dimension: 18” x 11.5”
- Weight: 1.8 pounds
- Material: Stainless steel, glass reinforced nylon
2. USMC Tactical Bruiser Survival Tomahawk
Officially licensed, this military style tomahawk makes a perfect companion to your less violent daily exercises too. It incorporates a fishing kit and end-cap compass too, and ships with a lanyard and nylon sheath.
- Dimension: 15” length x 0.7” thickness
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Material: Reinforced Nylon and stainless steel.
3. United Cutlery Hawk
- Precision cast 2cr13 stainless steel blade
- 30% fiberglass nylon reinforced handle
- Attached to handle with 3 separate bolts
- Includes durable nylon sheath
- 15" overall length
Lightweight with an upwards sweeping blade ideal for chopping, slashing and cutting, this fierce little tomahawk is a great companion for all your needs.
The back of the blade is also sharpened for chopping and hooking. This spike and axe head combination makes it a great personal defense tool as well as ideal for breaching walls etc. The blade is secured with three bolts, and the shaft nighs on indestructible.
- Dimension: 15” x 8”
- Weight: 2.1 pounds
- Material: Anodised stainless steel, fiberglass reinforced nylon.
4. Kershaw Siege Tomahawk Knife
- Multifunction-Has multiple blades or tools
- Black-oxide coating-Handle: Riveted glass-filled nylon scales
- Blade length: 4.0 Inch (10.2 cm)-Overall length: 16 Inch (40.6 cm)-Color: Black-Brand: Kershaw
- Multifunction-Has multiple blades or tools, enabling it to perform multiple functions
- Fixed Blade-The knife does not fold closed; usually stored in a sheath or blade protector
Another knife/axe blade combo, the knife on the Kershaw siege tomahawk does not fold flat, and it’s important to remember this will affect its storage capabilities. The handle can also be used as a pry bar, with the head fully riveted on.
If you need a handy and relatively light multi-tool, you can’t go wrong with this one.
- Dimension: 16” x 4”
- Weight: 2.7 pounds
- Material: Riveted glass/nylon scales, steel
5. SOG Fasthawk
- SOG HAWKS WITH BITE: At 12.5 inches, these hatchets and hawks are built to swing fast and true; these axes feature a razor-sharp 420 stainless steel hatchet blade
- 19 OUNCE TACTICAL HAWK: Lightweight yet heavy-duty, FastHawk hatchets are superb backpacking, hiking and survival axes to add to your axes set; hawk boasts a sleek black blade finish for added...
- HAWK HATCHET WITH SHEATH: Light, fast, and agile tactical hawk snaps securely in its ballistic nylon sheath; competition axe includes belt loop for 1.5-inch belts
- HAMMER AXE EDGE AND PIERCING SPIKE: FastHawk tactical survival axe features a flat edge for hammering and a spike; versatile to handle small wood chopping tasks.
- SOG FOR LIFE: Take care of your SOG hawk axe and we’ll take care of you; we gladly consider repairs and replacements for your properly maintained SOG FastHawk hawk hatchet
Made to act as a lighter option then the SOG Tactical Tomahawk, this versatile 2” blade provides all the same functions as its bigger cousin. It’s corrosion resistant and tough for almost any function. The handle has a built-in slip-resistant grip for safety. Combined with a unique, futuristic style, it’s a firm winner.
- Dimension: 12.5” x 6.5”
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Material: Steel, ballistic polymer
6. Gerber Downrange Tomahawk
- Features beveled axe head, hammer and pry bar - Included sheath
- Made in the USA; 420Hc Steel body with cerakote in desert tan with G-10 composite scales on handle for grip
- Included MOLLE-compatible sheath protects the blade when not in use and readily attaches to your pack, standard webbing or body armor
- Great for any hunter, soldier, tradesmen and perfect addition to survival kit; Break through any barrier.
- Overall length: 19.27 inches, weight: 36 ounces; Included limited lifetime warranty
Another three in one tool, the handle can be used as a pry-bar and the spike back for a host of other purposes as well as the strong axe blade. Strategically place hollow-outs in the blade allow for excellent leverage when breaching. Gun cote ensures that the axe never slips in your hands.
- Dimension: 22” x 19”
- Weight: 1.9 pounds
- Material: Steel
7. Schrade Full Tang Tactical Tomahawk
- DIMENSIONS: 12.8 inch (32.5 cm) overall length with a blade length of 3.1 inches (7.9 cm) and a weight of 1 lb 9 ounces
- DURABLE: Blade is made of reliable SK-5 High Carbon Steel with a black, nylon fiber handle
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient black nylon belt sheath with belt loop
- SECURE: Have confidence that the blade will not slip with the security of the hand and finger shaped grip
- BE PREPARED: Axe features a spike pommel as well as a nail pull/pry bar
Allowing a range of actions from pulling nails to hacking down branches, the powered coated head and full tang will take you wherever you go, doing whatever’s needed on the way. With the Schrade, you are covered.
- Dimension: 12.8” x 3.1”
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Material: Powered coated stainless steel, glass filled nylon handle.
When shopping for the best tactical tomahawk, quality of construction is vital, with design and function a close second. With all of these great tomahawk designs, you’re sure to find the perfect one for your needs and budget.