The best baitcaster combo
All too often angling requires carrying extensive amounts of equipment around. So when I was researching for the best baitcaster combo, the Abu Garcia Max Combo really stood out.
Simple to use, strong and optimized for one-handed retrieval, this rod and reel combo has all you need in one package.
For anglers that prefer baitcasting and don’t want to lug too many accessories along with them, the Abu Garcia Max Combo is a fantastic buy.
Abu Garcia Silver Max Low Profile Reel
- 5 stainless steel ball Bearings + 1 roller bearing provides smooth Operation
- Machined aluminum spool provides strength without adding Excess weight
- Power disk drag System gives smooth drag performance.Dura gear brass gear for extended gear life
- NOTE:This is a LEFT HANDED gear.
- Magtrax brake System gives consistent brake pressure throughout the cast
The included PowerDisk drag system also helps improve retrieval rates. Plus, Duragear brass gearing means durability and long life, making this a great investment.
The graphite rod gives you the best combination of both strength and low weight. The 24-ton rod is two pieces, meaning less time is spent assembling on the river bank.
And it extends to 6’6”, so you’re getting plenty of lengths there too.
You’re getting stainless steel guides, and titanium oxide inserts, so this is a perfect choice if you prefer using braided lines.
Finally, there’s the high-density EVA handles, giving you all the sensitivity you’re looking for, but still remaining durable and hard wearing.
MagTrax Brake System
The MagTrax brake system is designed to give you a smooth cast by giving steady and consistent brake pressure whilst casting.
Perhaps more important to those that prefer fishing with a variety of lures, the brake system lets you quickly and easily change the control settings.
You can get the accuracy you need in moments, meaning you spend less time setting up your rod and more time to catch fish!
Features and Specifications
- The 6’6” graphite rod has medium power and moderate fast rod action, complete with stainless steel guides and titanium oxide inserts (for braided lines).
- There are 5 stainless steel bearings and 1 roller bearing for smooth action, as well as Duragear brass gearing for durability.
- The PowerDisk drag system improves retrieval rates.
- The MagTrax brake system provides for a consistent and steady cast.
- There’s a machined aluminum spool for strength as well as low weight.
- The Rocket Clutch means one handed use is possible, also increasing retrieval rates.
- Lure ratings are 1/8 to 5/8, and line ratings are 8 to 15, and you get a 6.4:1 gear ratio.
- You get a mono capacity of 145/12 and a braid capacity of 140/30.
What Customers Are Saying
Customers like how far the Abu Garcia Silver Max Combo can cast, and how smoothly it can cast as well. They also love how easy the rod and reel combo is to use and to set up correctly with different lures.
Many customers expressed pleasant surprise at the weight and size of fish this combo was capable of catching.
Though most consumer reviews were positive, a few customers did report minor breakages after first use. These usually concerned the eyelets or the very tip of the rod.
Some consumers reported that the rod was difficult to store since it is a one piece rod rather than a sliding telescopic rod.
However, it seems that all breakage problems were satisfactorily replaced by the manufacturer. And though the Abu Garcia Silver Max may be slightly more difficult to store due to its size, the fact that it’s not a telescopic rod does mean that assembly is fast.
It’s very easy for me to recommend the Abu Garcia Silver Max simply because it’s such a great product, and the vast majority of consumer reviews were excellent.
Who Should Buy This Product?
The Abu Garcia Silver Max is a great buy for beginners, and also for the more casual angler. If you like to get to the river and fish, without the hassle of too much set up, then this is the rod and reel combo for you.
It’s also the ideal product for anglers that like to vary the lures they use, since controlling line settings is simple.
Even novice sea fishers should be more than satisfied with the Abu Garcia Silver Max since it’s capable of catching relatively high weight fish.
Who Shouldn’t Buy This Product?
Pro anglers probably aren’t going to be satisfied with this product. If you require more flexibility and more controllable settings on your rod, then this isn’t the choice for you (and in honesty, most pros wouldn’t opt for a rod and reel combo anyway).
Similarly, if you’re looking for a rod that’s easily portable and can be stored in a small space, this isn’t a great choice simply because it’s not fully telescopic.
With its low profile reel and durable graphite rod, the Abu Garcia Silver Max Combo is a fantastic buy for novice and casual anglers.
Everything you need, all in one package, and easy and simple to use as well. You’ll spend less time setting up your rod, and a lot more time catching fish with the best baitcaster combo.