Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the past couple of years, you will have undoubtedly witnessed the meteoric rise in popularity we have seen for paddle boards. Since you’re reading this I am going to go ahead and assume you are somewhat of a SUP beginner (SUP stands for Stand Up Paddle Board).
I will also assume that you are keen to get involved in this great sport and reap the rewards it offers which range from amazing scenery to a toned upper and lower body.
Before we dive into our best paddle boards for beginners, let’s take a look at some of the key elements you need to consider before buying.
You will notice when you read on that paddleboards come in various lengths, if you are taller it makes sense to go for a longer model and those of us on the shorter side should opt for the shorter style. Don’t forget you will need to navigate this across large bodies of water and if sea paddling there will be the possibility of waves both natural and those created by boats etc.
The larger the board the more surface area there will be for any ‘chop’ to hit it and cause instability.
You’re going to have to pick up your paddle board and carry it at least some distance and often you will have to either hoist it onto the roof of your vehicle, for the solid boards or into your boot for inflatable ones. Either way, the weight will play its part of your buying decision.
Solid or Inflatable SUP
There are two types of paddle boards, solid and inflatable. Which you choose is really down to personal preference and the both have their pros and cons.
Typically people opt for an inflatable board for their compact size when storing and transporting to their ideal spot, the pumps are easy to use and they inflate in no time. others prefer the solid boards since they are considered more robust so if you have the possibility of encountering submerged rocks and coral this may be the route you choose.
Portability is a concern with solid boards since you will need a roof rack or trailer to get them to your launch spot. Now that we’ve covered the 3-key areas to consider, let’s jump into the best beginner sup’s shall we?
Best Beginner Stand Up Paddle Boards 2023
- 【Game Changer HOSELESS Design】No longer have to endure stiff and cumbersome hose, lighter and smaller (7.79x7.6x3.15" and 2LB) than traditional paddleboard pumps, it's compact enough that you...
- 【ADJUSTABLE PSI SETTING】SUP Air Pump Compressor also features 0-16 PSI (up to 1.10 bar) adjustable PSI air pressure settings w/ selectable pressure units to PSI / Bar, the SUP Air Pump has an...
- 【12V Car Connector】Connects to your car's 12V DC connector or the power bank, the SUP air pump will get power directly.
- 【Auto Off】The AUTO-OFF FUNCTION turns the pump off when target pressure is reached when inflating.
- 【NOTICE】1.Turn on THE CAR'S ENGINE when you pumping (if not, it will cause insufficient inflatable power) 2.Choose the right gasket (the wrong gasket will cause the AIR LEAKAGE)
- BEST TRAVEL PADDLE BOARD: The COOLCAA inflatable paddle board is a great choice for beginners and advanced paddlers. The paddle board is 10.6 feet long, 33 inches wide, and can hold up to 440 pounds....
- CARBON FIBER PADDLE: The 3-piece carbon fiber paddle is super lightweight, only 1.5 lbs, floatable, 3K flat design carbon fiber shaft enhances stiffness and rigidity, making your paddling action...
- 4 ACTION MOUNTS AND 20 D-RINGS: 4 action mounts can be used to attach your Go-Pro, cell phone holder, camera, fishing rod, etc. to record the happy moments of your enjoyable trips, which will be a...
- MILITARY GRADE MATERIAL: Made of super strong and durable military grade material with 3-layer PVC fusion technology, it is stronger and lasts longer than other 2-layer ISUPs on the market. Thickened...
- PACKAGE CONTENT AND CUSTOMER SERVICE: COOLCAA paddle board comes with a full accessory kit: high quality inflatable paddle board, 3-piece carbon fiber paddle, premium roller storage bag, 3 removable...
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Masako Nozawa, Ryô Horikawa, Hiromi Tsuru (Actors)
- Masahiro Hosoda (Director) - Gyarmath Bogdan (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
- Dillon, Michele (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 560 Pages - 01/07/2020 (Publication Date) - Wiley-Blackwell (Publisher)
- STYLISH CHAMPAGNE DIAL: with a patterned light champagne dial with gold accents, this men's watch blends classic and modern elements for a timeless look
- GOLD-TONE CASE: these luxury watches for men feature durable stainless steel watch cases with finish that adds the classic elegance of a gold watch to your everyday style
- BROWN LEATHER STRAP: the combined sophistication and versatility of a supple leather watch band make these the perfect men's watches for day-to-evening wear
- 30M WATER RESISTANT: with a water resistance of up to 30 meters (3 bar), SWR064 watches for men are suitable for everyday wear, offering peace of mind by land or by sea
- CABOCHON CROWN: adds a subtle and luxurious detail to the design of these beautiful men's wrist watches
Now Get Out and Try It
In conclusion, an entry-level stand up paddleboard (SUP) is a crucial investment for beginner paddle boarders for several reasons. Firstly, it provides a stable platform for learning the basics of paddling and balance, allowing them to focus on improving their technique without worrying about falling into the water. Secondly, entry-level SUPs are often more affordable compared to more advanced boards, making them an accessible option for those who are just starting out. Lastly, they are usually made of durable materials and are designed to withstand the wear and tear of regular use, ensuring that beginner paddle boarders can enjoy their new hobby for years to come. With all these benefits, an entry-level SUP is an essential purchase for anyone looking to get into stand up paddleboarding.