When you’ve got a budget in mind, and you know you want the very best spinning reel that money can buy, you need to know what your options are.
Trust be told, there is no single best spinning reel as there are so many options available on the market, it’s simply not a once size fits all product.
So what we’ve done is reviewed all of the top rated reels in the sub $100 range, and brought your the best of the best in a side-by-side comparison so you can choose the one that’s best for you.
What to look for in a Spinning Reel
Before we dive into the Top 5 Spinning Reels under $100, let us take a look at what features you should be on the lookout for before deciding which one suits you.
Simply put, the max drag a reel offers, the larger the fish you can go after. Think of it this way. Say you had a heavy weight tied to the end of your line and you tried to reel it in – the amount of force that would create on the reel washers and gears would be immense.
So the larger the fish you want to fish for, the higher the max drag needs to be.
The gear ratio of a reel can be broken down into 3 parts. Let’s take a look at an example:
- The first number indicates how many rotations the spool will make for each turn of the crank handle.
- The second number after the colon is the alternate ratio, so in our example, we get 5.2 turns of the spool to one (1) turn of the handle.
All of the reels reviewed here today are machine built ultra-strong aluminum. Now you can get carbon and graphite rods but you’d be hard pressed to find one under $100, let alone one that will stand up the job.
So a quality material is a must and we think Aluminium offers the best option when it comes to weight and durability. Don’t forget, you may be carrying this reel for some distance to get to your final fishing spot – so keeping it light can help a great deal.
Best Spinning Reel Under 100 Reviewed
- FISHING REEL: Lightweight graphite body and skeletal rotor design
- CASTING REEL: Quality 4-bearing System with Zero Reverse one-way clutch bearing
- SPINNING REEL: Features a double anodized ported aluminum spool with a strong and balanced aluminum bail
- SPINCAST: Made with a thin compact gear box and a collapsible handle that adjusts for left/right hand retrieve
- LEW'S FISHING GEAR: Compare our baitcasting reels, spinning reels and rod and reel combos to fishing gear from Abu Garcia, Seaguar, Okuma, Ugly Stik, Penn, Wakeman, Shimano, Berkley, Bass Master,...
- Bearings: 4+1
- Gear ratio: 6.2:1
- Made in the U. S. A.
- Line capacity: 170/6
- LEW'S FISHING MACH 1 SPEED SPIN: The spinning reel features a rugged, lightweight graphite body
- ZERO REVERSE: 10-bearing system (9+1) with Zero Reverse one-way clutch bearing
- SPINNING REEL: Reel features a 6.2:1 high speed gear ratio, a C40 carbon skeletal rotor and a double anodized ported knurled aluminum spool
- LEW'S COMBAT GRIP PADDLE: Spinning reel features a fold down anodized aluminum with LEW'S Combat Grip paddle and a strong and balanced stainless steel bail
- SPEED GEARS: High strength solid brass Speed Gears, cut on precision Hamai CNC gear hobbing machines
- Rugged, lightweight graphite body and rotor
- 7- bearing system
- Zero reverse one- way clutch bearing
- LaserLite Speed
- PERFORMANCE MEETS VALUE: Pflueger President spinning reels combine smooth operation with a price that won't break the bank. With a balanced mix of performance, quality, and value, this reel is "The...
- SIZE 20 SPINNING REEL: Features a graphite body and rotor for lightweight, corrosion-resistant fishing reels. The aluminum handle and soft touch rubber knob are suitable for Right/Left handed anglers.
- RECOVER 20.2" | 51cm for every turn of the crank. Slow oscillation gearing provides a tight line lay for improved casting and control. Gear ratio of 5.2:1. Features an Aluminum spool.
- SEALED OIL FELT FRONT DRAG with a max drag of 6lb to help tire out the fish, so you can reel in the catch. The 7 ball bearing system plus Instant Anti-Reverse ensures smooth operation for any fishing...
- LINE CAPACITY: Mono Capacity yd/lb: 200/2 100/4 80/6 for optimal casting distance and accuracy.
Now Grab Your Rod and Reel and Get Fishing
Spending less than $100 on a spinning reel is a wise investment for several reasons. Firstly, for a beginner or casual angler, an entry-level spinning reel can offer reliable performance without breaking the bank. They are designed to handle basic fishing techniques and can easily be used for a variety of species, making them a versatile choice. Secondly, these reels are often made with durable materials that are designed to withstand regular use, ensuring they will last for many fishing trips to come. Thirdly, they typically come with basic features like an anti-reverse system, adjustable drag, and line capacity, which are essential for a successful fishing trip. Finally, by investing in a spinning reel that is budget-friendly, you can focus on other important gear, such as a rod or tackle, to enhance your overall fishing experience. In conclusion, spending less than $100 on a spinning reel can be a smart choice for anyone looking to get started with fishing or for those who want a reliable and budget-friendly option.