- 5 Best Gun Safes Under $500 Comparison Table
- What Should You Look For In A Gun Safe in The $500 Range?
Quick Answer: The 5 Best Gun Safes under 500 For 2020
- Verifi Biometric Quick-Access Handgun Safe
- Vaultek Essential Series Quick Access Handgun Safe
- GunVault SV500 – SpeedVault Handgun Safe
- Gearmart Fast Access 5-Gun Rifle Safe
- Viking Security Biometric Fingerprint Safe
5 Best Gun Safes Under $500 Comparison Table
|Product||Capacity||Dimensions (W x D x H)||Our Rating|
|2-3 Handguns||14.4″ x 10.8″ x 5.8″||4.8 /5|
|2 Handguns + 2 Clips||10.5″ x 8.5″ x 2.1″||4.7 /5|
|Single-Handgun||3.5″ x 6.5″ x 13″||4.5 /5|
|5 Rifles/Shotguns||13.6″ x 13.4″ x 57″||4.3 /5|
|2-Handguns + Ammo||14″ x 10″ x 10″||4.0 /5|
What Should You Look For In A Gun Safe in The $500 Range?
Security & Extra FeaturesThere is a vast array of features that comes with each gun safe and they differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, product to product. So here are a few things that we like to look for when choosing the ideas gun safe.
Locking TypeWe prefer Biometric fingerprint access over all others. You can forget retina scans and other space-age stuff on this budget. Fingerprint scanners are common in this price range and they work very well.They provide quicker access than the standard lock and key models and should the batteries fail or the electronics go in your safe, they all offer a fail-safe backup key anyway.
LightingAn interior LED light is a great feature to have on your safe. Sure you could just turn on the light to see what you’re doing but that may not always be the ‘brightest’ idea, especially if you have an intruder or just don’t want to wake up the others in the room/house.
Backup AccessAs mentioned, it is imperative that you have a backup master key in order to access your guns should the more advanced locking/unlocking methods fail. All of the suggestions in the article have this feature.
SizeThe exterior dimensions (listed for each product below) will dictate where you will e able to locate your gun safe. Most people opt for either bedside cabinet, under the bed or inside the closet.For rifles, the garage, closet or storeroom is a better option. So be sure to pay attention to the external dimensions, but don’t forget about the interior too.Depending on the thickness of the steel used, the interior size can differ greatly from the outside. So make sure your rifles/pistols etc will fit before buying.
CapacityOf course, if you only have a single 9mm handgun then this isn’t something you need to worry about.If, however, you’re looking to secure multiple weapons, ammunition, and accessories such as scopes, then you need to be sure your needs are accounted for.We’ve listed the gun capacity of each safe by each product below.
1. Verifi Biometric Quick-Access Handgun Safe
- Full fingerprint security
- Can fit handgun plus other items
- 3-4 year battery life (can be replaced)
- Not rated as fireproof
2. Vaultek Essential Series Quick Access Handgun Safe
- Backlit keypad for easy opening
- Interior LED’s to see in the dark
- Portable and quick release to remove in a hurry
- Backup key
- Small capacity (2 Handguns)
- Not Biometric
3. GunVault SV500 – SpeedVault Handgun Safe
- Quick access no-nonsense digital buttons and door
- Easy to mount and hide arounf the home/ofice
- Well-known brand and product
- Low capacity – single firearm
4. Gearmart Fast Access 5-Gun Rifle Safe
- Large capacity
- Durable and solid constructions
- Comes full assembled ready for use
- Takes up considerable height (57″)
- Some buyers reported no additional lock-box, just a shelf
5. Viking Security Biometric Fingerprint Safe
- Solid steel constructions
- Backup lock/unlock with key
- Anti-pry door locking bars
- Interior LEDs
- Low Capacity
- Heavier than similar models