Who’s smarter: you or a trout?
Believe us when we say we mean no insult by that question.
Trout fishing involves the fisherman in a whole set of predatory questions and necessities. The way you cast, the movements you use, and most important of all, the flies you use all have their part to play in successful trout fishing.
Because of course, fish are fish and people are people, but under no circumstances should you make the mistake of thinking trout are stupid.
Just like predator hunting on land, you’re pitting your wits, your instincts, and the genius of those who have studied the fish over hundreds of years against a creature which has either been honed by evolution or crated by a god with one single imperative – not to get caught.
That means almost the whole business of trout fishing is about getting into the fish’s mindset. Be too obvious in your approach and the trout will swim on by, no matter how flashy and delicious-looking your fly is. But play the game with the trout, pretend you yourself don’t exist in its world, and the quality of your fly might pull the hungry fish into your trap.
But the world is absolutely full of flies for trout. Home-woven flies are probably the secret pride of most experienced trout fishermen. Flies handed down like secret treasures from master to apprentice are a ritual prize better than rubies for the dedicated trouter.
But even the world of simple, commercial trout flies is swarming with contenders, backed by science, study, and experience in use. You name it, there’s someone who’s used it to create the best new trout fly in the world.
So how do you know which are really the best flies for trout?
Let us fill your tackle box. We’ve found the best flies for trout currently on the commercial market. They may not be invested with the triumphs of generations of trout fishermen – but they’re almost guaranteed to help you catch trout on a regular basis.
Best Flies For Trout – Reviews
- 【Well-Made Flies Kit】All fly fishing lures are hand-tied by professionals. The flies are tied with well-chosen quality feathers and sharp fly fishing hooks. Lifelike and durable fly fishing flies...
- 【Widely Applied】Multiple types of flies are available. The fly fishing flies assortment kit includes wet flies and dry flies. The 30pcs fishing flies set include 6 different styles of flies (such...
- 【Life-like Flies】Colorful and lifelike hand-tied flies. Fly fishing lures increase the chances of catching fish by imitating underwater prey to attract the attention of fish. Multiple color...
- 【Various Hook Sizes 】The flies are paired with sharp and barbed fly fishing hooks. The 30pcs flies include #10 fly hook, #12 fly hook, and #14 fly fishing hooks.
- 【Package Included】The 30pcs/pack fly set include 5pcs soft hackle nymph fly/ 5pcs Light hendrickson/ 5pcs stimulator dry flies/ 5pcs Adams Wulff White Wings/ 5pcs leadwing coachman wet flies/ 5pcs...
- You can get excited about the premium items
- The 64 pcs flies kit includes Mayfly dries, Streamers, Leeches, Wet Flies, Terrestrials, Miscellaneous dries, and Caddisfly dries in assorted sizes and (or) colors
- Please refer to the pictures for the detailed fly patterns and sizes
- The flies come loaded in a quality fly box with secure magnetic fastener for quick opening and closing
- The flies included in this kit are the perfect tools for the job and are sure to get some attention, whether you’re targeting bass, panfish, trout, or steelhead
- 【Effective Flies】100pieces flies cover greatest flies of all time.Such as Wolly Bugger,Popper,Bumble,Peackcock Nymph,Whether you are a starter or just want to up your game,the chance of catching...
- 【Target Fish】For Catching Trout,Grayling and Salmon,Steelhead,Pike,Carp.
- 【Waterproof Fly Box】The box measures 13.6*8.6*3.6cm(5.2 x 3.5 x 1.4 inch), Oranising your flies in top condition,easy to carry variety of flies for days of fishing.
- 【Hook Size】All Hand tied flies range from #6 to #18. The size of hooks and flies gets bigger as the hook gets smaller.
- 【Greatest Gift】Great fly fishing gift sets for fishermen.
- [Top Selected Patterns] This set includes time-tested, effective patterns, including popular dry, streamer, and nymph flies to cover a variety of fishing needs.
- [Quality Assured] All flies are hand-tied with sharp, high-carbon steel hooks and appropriate materials by experienced fly tiers.
- [Decently Packed] Fishing flies come packaged in a durable, compact, pocket-sized fly box, organized for convenience on your fishing trip.
- [Meet Multiple Needs] The fly assortment includes versatile, frequently-used patterns such as woolly buggers for various species of trout, elk hair caddis for brook and golden trout, and hare's ear...
- [Stater-Pro Angler-Gift] The selected fly set is suitable for both beginners and experienced anglers, as it includes popular, versatile fly patterns at an affordable price. It's especially useful for...
- Good Variety & Great Price: Excellent selection of 18 popular flies pattern with great value, a must-have starter set and ideal gift for any fly anglers or fishing lover.
- Trusted Effective Flies: This assortment flies kit are picked and tied by fly fishing professionals with quality material, they are proved to fish well, could help you catch more fish.
- More choices for fishing: The 36pcs fly fishing flies kit come in a variety of colors and sizes including nymphs, adams, elk hair caddis, dry flies, wet flies, streamers, so you could be fished in...
- Portable to Carry: Palm sized design fishing tackle box is easy for you to carry in your fishing vest or pocket, and could also be waterproofed and kept your flies well organized with its durable ABS...
- What You Get: Total 36pcs 5 sizes fishing flies in a reusable waterproof fly box, included fly fishing hooks size #16, #14, #12, #10, #8, we strive for satisfaction customer service, if you have any...
- ✔️Created By Anglers For Anglers: RoxStar Fishing was founded by Mike James with the vision to bring back that old school quality & service that just seems to be missing. At RoxStar we take pride...
- ✔️Fly Fishing Flies Picked By The Pros: This is hands down the most complete, well-thought-out fly assortment package on the market with the RoxStar touch of Quality. We’ve designed this trout...
- ✔️ You get it all Emerger Flies, Dry Flies, Wet Flies, Beadhead Flies Total 24 Trout Flies 1 Each: Dry Flies For Trout: #10 Grasshopper #10 Black Wulff #12 Blue Wing Olive #12 Adams #12 Parachute...
- ✔️ Wet Nymph Flies For Trout: #14 Pheasant Tail Nymph #14 Prince Nymph #14 Prince Nymph BeadHead #14 Copper Beadhead #14 Hares Ear Nymph BeadHead #16 Caddis Pupa Olive Beadhead #16 Zebra Midge...
- ✔️ The RoxStar Guarantee : RoxStar Fly Shop offers that super quality you can expect. All of our Fly Fishing Flies are Tied In-House by professional fly tiers from hand selected premium material...
Best Flies For Trout – Buyers Guide
When you’re buying flies for trout, there are some things you need to keep in mind.
Know Where You’re At
The journey of a trout fisherman, like the journey you take in any skilled hobby, has distinct phases – from beginner, through practicing, to expert.
Different types of flies will be of most use to you at different phases of your trout fishing career – be honest with yourself and choose flies that will help you today, rather than aspiring to use expert-level flies before you’re ready.
It’ll save you money, time and lots of frustration if you choose the right flies for your stage.
Understand Your Prey
Various types of fly do different things. Attractor flies aren’t meant to represent actual insects, but will create movement and colour that the fish will want to investigate for its potential.
Other flies can represent elements of the trout’s favorite edible bugs in their various stages of development throughout the year.
You can use those different flies to catch trout in different seasons. The more you know about the fish, the more useful each of these types of fly will be to you. Put the effort in, understand the fish, and buy the flies that work best with your skills and understanding.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes for a good fly for trout?
Several things. The trout respond like most creatures to suddenness of movement and colour in their world, so initially, bright, shiny attractor flies can work to rouse their interest.
Beyond that, high-quality fly-making can get you flies that closely represent the insects on which the trout feeds throughout the course of the year.
How long should trout flies last?
Long enough to catch you a trout. Bottom line, that’s the only answer that counts. You can keep a fly for fifty years – if it never catches you a trout, it’s a waste of space in your box.
But a fly that catches you six big trout and then falls to bits when you cast is still worth the financial equivalent of those six trout.
Worry about passing your flies down to the next generation when you’re a wise and ancient trout-whisperer. Until then, get the flies that catch you trout, and don’t worry about them lasting forever.
Is ‘match-the-hatch’ a good plan for trout flies?
It’s certainly not a bad plan. If you’re new to trout fishing, using flies that match the insects in the trout’s diet at various stages of development means you can fish year round, honing the things that no fly can give you – the instincts, the quietness, the patience to catch trout.
When you’re more experienced, a match-the-hatch fly set means you don’t have to catch trout around the year, but you can catch them at any point in that year, so there are good reasons to master a match-the-hatch trout fishing strategy.
In addition, having to choose between different flies means you get used to selecting the right fly at the right moment to get the results you want.