When shopping for a new kayak, you’ll want to be able to store you and your gear whilst remaining steady, but when you’re looking for a hunting kayak you’ll need to store even more gear and be steady enough to keep your aim.
That’s why this article exists. In this article we’ve searched the market and picked out five examples of kayaks that are suited to duck hunting and have even listed out their pros and cons so you can see why.
If you want to educate yourself on what makes a good hunting kayak, or you’ve seen the products offered below and want to go shopping for other options, we’ve included a buyers’ guide so that you can know what to look for.
There’s also an FAQ in that buyers’ guide, so maybe a question you had has already been answered.
In a hurry?This is our Winner!
Why it’s Our Top Pick
We have our favorite kayak right here for if you’re in a hurry.
We chose the Brooklyn Kayak Company FK184 Angler Kayak, but we should add that it’s a one-man model and that there are better multiman options for if you prefer hunting with a pal.
See why we chose the FK184 below:
Lightweight build with aluminum paddles and four carrying handles for the kayak body itself.
Very comfortable and supportive seating positioned behind a hollowed-out cargo hatch that provides safe waterproof storage options.
Comes with an array of accessories such as fishing rod holders and elastic bungee cords that can be used as paddle parks or to hold more gear.
Best Duck Hunting Kayaks – Reviews
- Stable: The multi-chine flat bottom hull offers excellent stability giving you a secure and steady ride. It procures you the balance you need when casting lines and reeling in fish while making it...
- Comfortable: The adjustable ERGOFIT G2 seating system is specially designed with thicker ergonomic padding to provide targeted cushioning and better air flow.
- Fishing Features: Includes a front quick lock hatch, a 4 in. day hatch with storage bag and a tank well with bungee cord. Fishing enthusiasts will enjoy accessory eyelets, a swivel rod holder and two...
- Safe: Our unique manufacturing process allows us to include additional flotation inside the hull of all of our sit-on-tops in order to meet or surpass ABYC standards. Holds a maximum capacity of 325...
- Lightweight: Our kayaks being made with exceptionally durable high molecular density polyethylene, less material is needed to produce each boat. At 10 ft and weighing only 50 lb, it makes the perfect...
- IP68 Certified Waterproof: With excellent water-resistant seal performance (IP68 rating), this 100% sealed waterproof bag provides comprehensive protection for your phone and other belongings in a...
- Multifunctional Outdoor Usage: This multifunctional dry bag is perfect for outdoor activities such as camping, kayaking, boating, rafting, hiking, swimming, and fishing; Take it with you to the lake,...
- Reliable Protection: Our Waterproof Marine Series dry bags offer reliable protection for even the most rugged users; They are built to last for years and provide water-resistant protection; The...
- Adjustable Shoulder Strap: Carry your dry storage bag with ease using the detachable and adjustable shoulder strap; You can wear it like a backpack or cross it over your chest for hands-free hiking...
- Package Contents: 1 Unit of Pelican Waterproof Dry Bag - Marine Series Hunter Camo 5L + (1) Detachable Keychain Lanyard; 1-Year Warranty
- ✅ Set Off On The Next Aquatic Adventure: want to explore more waterways? With a 660lbs weight capacity and enough space for two people, this kayak is the ultimate inflatable boat to embark on a...
- ✅ Enjoy A Comfortable Paddling Experience: our premium kayaks for adults feature a spacious cockpit, plus 2 removable, inflatable seats with a backrest that can adjust to your body needs, offering...
- ✅ Carry Your Kayak Anywhere Fuss-Free: with Boston valves for effortless inflation and deflation and ergonomic handles on both ends, our two person kayak is super easy to carry around during your...
- ✅ Order Your Portable Kayak With Confidence: unlike other inflatable canoes and kayaks, our durable kayak is crafted with heavy-duty, puncture-resistant PVC materials of the highest quality to...
- ✅ Invest In A Mega-Value Kayak Kit: stop wasting your time and money buying kayak accessories separately. Our complete kayak set comes with everything you need, including 2 aluminum paddles, a...
- 18-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
- THE PERFECT KAYAK FOR OUTDOOR FUN: The Brooklyn Kayak Company BKC FK184 has all the features the solo paddler needs. Whether you're headed out for an afternoon of lake fishing or you're headed...
- FULLY LOADED ACCESSORIES: Our kayak comes equipped with a premium memory foam seat, adjustable aluminum paddle, 2 waterproof hatches, 5 rod holders, 2 paddle parks, and 1 bungee cargo tie down. We...
- CRAFTED FOR STABILITY: Our Roto Molded single Piece High density polyethylene material is superior to inflatable kayaks and a capable craft on ocean, lake, or river, while supporting up to 330 lbs....
- BUILT-IN FISHING ROD HOLDERS: The BKC FK184's four flush-mount rod holders and single articulating rod holder keep multiple lines deployed at one time, or just keep the rods out of your way during...
- WATERPROOF STORAGE: Keep all your valuables dry inside the BKC FK184's 2 watertight storage hatches. With ample watertight storage and a large cargo area, bring along enough supplies for multiple-day...
Best Duck Hunting Kayaks – Buyers Guide
How to choose the best duck hunting kayaks
This buyers’ guide should help you to identify which kayaks are suitable for duck hunting, based upon such categories as durability, stability and maneuverability, storage, comfort, and camouflage ability.
With all of the types and brands of kayaks available on the market, it’s important to know which ones are dependable and made to a high quality.
You’re going to want a boat that’ll be dependable, and part of that dependability is how durable and long-lasting it is. You probably won’t be chasing any ducks down whitewater rapids any time soon, so instead you want a boat that can withstand the bumps, knocks, and scuffs natural when boating in shallow waters where ducks are more likely to be found.
The material that the kayak is made from factors into its durability, too, and for that we’d recommend durable polyethylene.
If you live in a particularly hot climate, it’s best if the material is treated with a UV-protecting layer such as silicon resin, so that sunlight doesn’t cause any harm to the boat hull’s look or integrity.
Stability and Maneuverability
The stability, and so the turning ability, of kayaks are often determined on their width. Larger boats tend to be more stable but, since they are loftier, are harder to turn in the water. For duck hunting you’ll need a kayak that can be allowed for maneuverability in aiming without tipping over, and especially without being affected too badly by the recoil of gunfire.
It’s about achieving a balance between stability and maneuverability when chasing and firing at ducks.
It depends on the waterways you’ll be tackling, since if your local hunting grounds are very narrow, you’ll have to go for thinner, more maneuverable kayak models that will be less stable.
Most kayaks that are low on storage space are undesirable, but a hunting kayak low on storage space is nearly useless. Waterfowl hunting, like any hunting, requires you to bring a lot of gear such as the rifle, ammunition, and perhaps the gutting equipment if you’re prepping the takes outside.
It’s difficult to get a kayak that has too much space in it, so more storage is usually a plus.
Dry storage should be a priority when considering storage space, as it’ll store your cell phones or other gadgetry you’ll want to bring. There are also rigging storage options so that you can strap bags onto the kayak. You’ll also want areas to hold fishing rods if you plan on doing some fishing at the same time.
Comfort should be a consideration with almost everything you buy, but when you’re going to be sat in or on your purchase, you’ll want enough room for you and your storage, and possibly a second duck hunter too.
This comfort can be achieved via seat padding or mesh seats that more easily dry after getting wet.
It should be obvious that a good hunting kayak is one that knows how to keep a low profile, and the best and most cost-effective way of doing that is to have a camouflage paint job. If not camouflage, a green or tan coloring can often suffice. Like when considering the stability of your kayak, you’ll also need to take note of your hunting grounds for kayaking.
If you’re going to be in a beached area, then tan will work best, whereas if you’re hunting at a forest lake, you’ll probably want green.
There are even kayak options that can turn into duck hunting blinds which work much like the land-based versions. These often push the price up, and so are better for those who are serious about duck hunting. It’s even better if the blinds can be put up and broken down so that they don’t impede the kayak in its other functions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why use a kayak for hunting?
Kayaks are quiet. We could end the answer there, since surprising your prey is more than half the battle when hunting, but there are ways that we could elaborate on that. By getting out onto water, you can get closer to the ducks whilst making as little sound as possible.
The ducks also may not be so alarmed by a passing boat if they’ve gotten used to boat traffic from other people.
Kayaks designed for hunting are often able to maneuver much easier, too, perhaps because they’re constructed to be as silent, and so as lightweight, as possible. This also makes them easy to transport to and from the hunting grounds. You also don’t have to break the bank for kayaks, and they can help you to cover as much distance as possible if your hunting area is particularly large.
How to blend a kayak into its environment?
Aside from a camouflaged paint job, there are a few other precautions you can take to become even more incognito out there on the waterways. This includes paddling instead of using a motor-powered kayak, though most hunting kayaks will have this method of propulsion by default.
Scent reducers and duck calls can be used to ingratiate yourself with the local duck populations, making it easier to lure them closer for the kill.
How do you carry decoys on a kayak?
This once again depends on the nature of the kayak itself. If you have a wider kayak with plenty of room in front of you, you can have them in with you. Otherwise you can rig them to the sides of your boat with a bungee cord so that they float alongside your kayak.
Once deployed these will trick flying passerby ducks into landing near you, allowing you to line up a perfect shot.