For many, positioning themselves in a tree may be their preferred way to hunt. This gives you a clear vantage point of the area surrounding you. A climbing treestand gives you the height and comfort in one item, providing a place for you to stand and also a seat for when you find yourself needing a rest.
We have browsed the market selecting our top five picks of the best climbing treestands ensuring that they conform to a high standard of quality, comfort with the correct safety features in place. Below, you will also find a buyer’s guide packed with our top tips for selecting the best product for your needs.
If you are in a hurry and don’t have the time to continue reading, we have selected our top pick for you below.
In a hurry?This is our Winner!
Best Climbing Treestand – Comparison Table
Buy on Amazon
|Summit Treestands Viper Climbing Treestand|
|Lone Wolf Hand Climber Combo II Climbing Tree Stand|
|OL’MAN TREESTANDS Multi-Vision Climbing Stand|
|Summit Treestands 180 Max SD Climbing Treestand|
|Lone Wolf Sit & Climb Combo II Climbing Tree Stand|
Best Climbing Treestand – Reviews
Our Top Pick
For our top pick, we have selected the Summit climbing Treestand. This closed front aluminum treestand comes with a full body harness allowing you to sit comfortably and safely. With a suspended foam padded seat, you can sit for a lengthy amount of time without discomfort and the cable retention locks into place helping to keep you secure, whilst ensuring that you don’t disturb any animals below.
The platform provides you with a stable surface to rest your feet with the inclusion of green utility stirrups that keep your feet secure and stop them from dangling below.
This is a lightweight treestand that only weighs 20 lbs itself, however, it has the capacity to hold a weight up to 300 lbs.
With a mossy oak design acting as a camouflage effect, you will easily blend in with the environment surrounding you, without giving your presence away.
- As a lightweight treestand, it can be easily transported to your chosen location.
- The full body harness provides the security that is needed to hold you in place as you sit down.
- As a closed front seat, there is a reduced likeliness of you slipping forward as the front is there to hold you securely.
- With a quickdraw cable retention system, this stand can easily be installed and locked into place and it does so while remaining quiet.
- The high-quality material construction accounts for excellent durability and strength, creating a climbing treestand that is likely to last for a while without deteriorating.
- The set up manual is slightly complex making the process of putting the treestand together quite confusing.
Next up we have selected the Lone Wolf Hand Climber Combo treestand. As a lightweight tree stand that can easily be folded down to fit inside a backpack, this is a compact and convenient option that can be transported with ease.
The contoured padded foam seat provides maximum comfort as you sit down and the grate positioned below the seating provides a convenient location for resting your feet, eliminating any unwanted pains caused by your legs dangling below.
Impressively, this treestand only weighs a minimal 17.5 pounds itself, however, it has a weight capacity limit of 350 pounds, effectively catering to individuals of different sizes.
- As a compact climber that can be folded down to a size of 5 inches, it is convenient and portable.
- Assembling and setting up the treestand is relatively easy.
- Although it is lightweight itself, it has a maximum weight capacity of 350 pounds allowing all individuals to sit comfortably.
- Durably designed using materials of high quality, this a strong and sturdy treestand.
- Features a built in bow holder which holds the majority of parallel bow limbs and saves you having to carry one additionally.
- This may not be the best option for those on a budget as it retails with a higher price tag.
As a multi vision treestand, our next pick is a versatile product that is likely to be loved by gun and bow hunters alike. Choose between the classic set up using the OL’Man straight bar or utilize the reversible footrest that can be used as a gun rest too. The three way mechanism allows you to select the most preferable position for you.
Sound isn’t an issue as this is one of the quietest treestands created by the brand, sit comfortably without the fear of disturbing the animals below you.
With a steel construction, you are provided with durability and style in one product. The design ensures that it is going to be durable enough to withstand daily wear and tear without deteriorating in quality.
Designed with a spacious cushioned seat, you can sit comfortably without being confined to a tight seating space. This also gives you more room to move around, if necessary; without being restricted in any way.
The climbing stand itself weighs 29 pounds with a weight limit of 300 pounds.
- Made in the USA, you can be confident in the source of your purchase.
- As a three in one product, it offers excellent versatility allowing you to select the most comfortable position.
- This treestand is easy to assemble and position in the tree.
- It has a durable and sturdy build and remains very stable when in the tree.
- Sound isn’t an issue courtesy of this quiet tree stand which allows you to sit without disruptions.
- Weighing a total of 29 pounds it is a little heavier than our other product mentions, which could make it difficult to transport.
We have selected another treestand from the brand Summit and this is the 180 Max SD climbing treestand. The design of this climbing treestand effectively caters to hunters of a larger build.
With a weight limit of 350 lbs, this treestand offers a spacious vantage point for larger hunters with the room to sit with comfort. Impressively, the height can be adjusted with the ability to extend the top frame allowing taller hunters to sit without compromising comfort.
The reversible surround seat allows you to sit facing the tree if necessary allowing you to have a full viewing experience from any angle.
The foot platform situated below the seat provides a comfortable place to position your feet as you sit down preventing the occurrence of any aches and pains caused by your legs dangling freely.
With a SummitLokt and quick draw system in place, you can adjust the cable to the diameter of the tree before locking each joint into place.
- Weighing only 26 pounds this is a lightweight climbing treestand that can easily be carried.
- The build of this product effectively caters to hunters of a taller and larger build.
- The SummitLokt system ensures that every joint is locked into place securely.
- Courtesy of the generous padding this is an extremely comfortable seat.
- Once located in the tree this climber makes minimal noise helping to conceal your location.
- Retailing at a relatively high price, this isn’t an ideal choice for individuals on a budget.
Finally, we have the Lone Wolf Sit and Climb Combo Climbing Tree Stand. Featuring a pivot style seat you can easily maneuver your angle to your preferred position and the climbing bar allows you to climb up with ease.
The neutral colored seat presents a camouflage type of effect with foam padding that provides you with all-day comfort. With a slightly angled footrest, you have plenty of space to position your feet comfortably.
Impressively, this seat has a 350-pound weight limit only weighing 20 pounds itself. Conveniently, this climbing treestand can be folded down to 4 inches with backpack straps for easy transportation to your location. This product also comes with one bungee strap and stabilizing straps.
- This treestand is very quiet once situated in the tree and is unlikely to disrupt the animals below you.
- Folding down to only 4 inches, transporting this treestand is easy.
- Courtesy of the foam padded seat you are provided with maximum comfort as you sit down.
- Weighing only 20 pounds, this is a lightweight treestand that can easily be carried to your location.
- It is sturdily built for excellent durability against daily wear and tear.
- This seat requires thorough adjustments before use otherwise it may be uncomfortable.
Best Climbing Treestand – Buyers Guide
There are several features that you will need to consider before purchasing your climbing treestand. As there are multiple variations available on the market, it is crucial to select the product that is going to cater to your needs effectively.
We have listed some criteria below that we would recommend you considering before making your purchase.
What is a climbing treestand?
A climbing treestand is used to ascend a hunter into a tree to reach their chosen vantage point. This is done by securing and locking the seat around the tree using the straps provided. Lifting your legs as you climb, you can then raise the platform of the climbing treestand.
A climbing treestand gives you a much clearer view of the area surrounding you in comparison to what would be visible if you were on foot.
A climbing treestand is designed in two parts, the seats itself and the platform below. This provides you with a comfortable place to sit for the duration of the day, or when you need to rest, and the platform provides a secure surface for resting your feet preventing them from dangling uncomfortably below.
When ascending to a height in a tree, safety is paramount. It is important to ensure that your tree stand has all of the necessary safety features in place. The harness system holds you in place as you sit down. Also, pay attention to the weight limit. The majority of climbing treestands have larger weight capacities allowing you to sit comfortably while allowing you to move freely while remaining fully supported. There should also be a harness separate from the stand itself that wraps around the tree.
The comfort of a climbing treestand is a crucial influence in the success of your hunt. If you aren’t able to sit comfortably this is likely to affect your interest in the area surrounding you. Ideally, you should invest in a climbing treestand that has a sturdy padded seat with support for your back too. A pivot seat is also beneficial as this allows you to move around freely without any restrictions or compromise of your comfort.
As climbing treestands are available in a variety of sizes, it is important to select the size that is most comfortable for you. The size of the seats themselves can differ. A restriction on the space that you have available is likely to affect your overall comfort and is also going to affect how freely you can move.
Setting up and assembling the treestand
Ideally, your chosen climbing treestand should be easy to install as this saves you a lot of hassle when you have reached your chosen destination. One with complex hinges and straps is likely to result in confusion and difficulties with assembly. Opt for a climbing treestand that has easy assembly instructions as this will make the process much easier. Ensure that each of the joints is secured and locked into place beforehand.
If you are a regular hunter, the durability of your climbing treestand is crucial. You want to choose a tree stand that is made using high quality, sturdy materials as this is going to ensure that it will withstand daily wear and tear without deteriorating. Also, there may be occasions where you find yourself caught in the middle of adverse weather. If this is the case, a durably designed product isn’t going to degrade following exposure to these weather conditions.
If you are likely to be walking for a distance on foot to reach your destination, ideally you will benefit from a lightweight climbing treestand. The majority tend to weigh around 20 pounds which makes them much easier to transport between locations without putting any unwanted pressure and weight onto your back.
The weight capacity can also differ between the style of climbing treestand that you choose. You will find some that are built with larger hunters in mind and others that are smaller. This effectively caters to the individual needs of each hunter.
The Tree Type
Some treestands have wider capacities than others. It is important to pay attention to the diameter of the tree that your chosen treestand is compatible with. If you are hunting in an area with a mixture of wide and thin trees you may be limited to the size tree that you can set your treestand up in.
The budget that you have in mind is likely to be largely influential in the climbing treestand that you choose. If you are working with a lower budget, then you are still very likely to find a product that fits this. However, it is crucial to ensure that you don’t sacrifice the safety and quality for the price. With treestands retailing at varying price points we have aimed to include a variety in our guide retailing at affordable and more expensive prices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are climbing treestands dangerous?
If used incorrectly, yes a climbing treestand can be dangerous. It is paramount that all safety guidelines are followed to prevent the occurrence of any accidents. Whilst some don’t appear to look substantial in their build structure, climbing treestands are actually safe to use. They provide a safe and secure way to climb a tree to reach your chosen vantage point.
Will a climbing treestand scare away deer?
Unless you are positioned fairly close to the deer, then it is unlikely that they will spook. They typically tend to do so if they see or hear you. The majority of climbing treestands are relatively quiet when they are in use and the lack of noise ensures that you don’t scare or spook any surrounding deer when you are in the process of climbing the tree.
Are climbing treestands expensive?
No, not all climbing treestands are necessarily expensive, some great options retail at affordable prices, while there are others that are a little more pricey. It is crucial that you don’t sacrifice the safety of your product for the price. It is worth spending a little more to ensure that your climbing treestand has all of the important features in place.
Are climbing treestands comfortable?
Most are made with foam padded seats which provide comfort while you are sat down, this is particularly beneficial for hunts where you find yourself situated in a tree for a lengthy amount of time. The overall support offered by the treestand is highly influential in how comfortable it is, ensuring that you are able to sit comfortably for the duration of the time that you are in the tree.