Quietest portable generators will always be a product of interest especially for campers, cross-country travelers, and those concerned with being prepared for any eventuality. Generators in general, have come a long way from the first time they were introduced.
Back then, they were huge and astoundingly noisy that made it mandatory for the generators to be housed in a fully enclosed shed or structure to decrease the noise pollution.
Fortunately, that’s no longer the case today and consumers are now equally concerned about getting the quietest portable generator for camping possible.
Top 5 Quietest Portable Generators Comparison Table
|PowerPro 56101||Mix of Oil and Gas||1000 Watts||4.5 / 5|
|Yamaha EF2000iSv2||Gas||2000 Watts||4.3 / 5|
|WEN 56200i||Gas||2000 Watts||4.9 / 5|
|DuroStar DS 4000S||Gas||4000 Watts||4.4 / 5|
|Honda EU 2000I||Gas||2000 Watts||4.2 / 5|
First, a few quick and important facts about the portable generator:
- You have a choice of overhead cam (OHC) or overhead valve (OHV). OHC valves are generally maintenance-free while OHV valves have a 100-hour mandatory clearance check.
- OHV valves are common in lower-end models
- Select your generator on your wattage requirements
- 5,000 watts can cover just the basics (fridge, sump pump, heater, lights, computer)
- Generators can overheat if you miscalculate your wattage usage
Features of a Great Portable Generator
- Automatic start
- Electric start
- Alternative fuel capacity
- Fuel gauge
- Multiple outlets
- Automatic shut-down
Our Top 5 Quietest Portable Generator Reviews
The PowerPro 56101 Gas-Powered Portable Generator
The PowerPro 56101 is a handy portable generator with 1000 watts starting power that weighs less than 36 pounds. The engine is fueled by an oil/gas mixture that negates the need for oil maintenance. At half load, this generator can run for 5 continuous hours on 900 watts running power with its one gallon tank.
As far as noise level, the 56101 is respectfully quiet at 60 dB because of its spark arrestor. This gasoline-powered generator has three outlets (one is three-pronged) and its own wide-grip carrying handle. Other features that make this product a great buy include:
- Uses a mix of gas and oil
- 4 stabilizing pads for reduced vibration and greater stability
- Exceeds standards for CARB and EPA compliance for use in national forest or park
- 900 watts running power
- Outlets have independent circuit reset buttons
- Can power a TV, computer, portable heater, microwave, sump pump, and power tools
- One year warranty
In addition, the voltmeter is very accessible and easy to read so you never have to second-guess how much energy you are using.
The Yamaha EF2000iSv2
Not only does the 1600 watt Yamaha EF2000iSv2 warrant our highest recommendations because of its performance, it also happens to look pretty cool in camouflage or blue colors. It has a very quiet muffler enhanced with a US Forest Service-approved spark arrestor that limits noise to 51.5 dB at a quarter load. With the inverter system that is equipped with Pulse Width Modulation control, you will be able to enjoy excellent fuel economy while being CARB-compliant.
Other features that make this one of the top portable generators include:
- OHV valve engine, gasoline-powered
- 2000 watts maximum clean AC output
- 13.3/16.7 amps, 120 volts
- 44 pounds only
- Smart throttle
- Able to run for 10.5 hours continuously on quarter load, 5 hours on full load
- Equipped with electric overload breaker, auto decompression system
- Comes with a dual coil alternator stator which slows down engine speed
- Centralized control panel with push button start
- Two year warranty
On the downside, you will need oil (bought separately) to run the generator. Nonetheless, once up and running, this powerhouse portable generator simply delivers incredible and reliable power when you need it – and you can easily have a conversation while standing a couple feet away!
The WEN 56200i is a power machine that offers 1600 running watts and 2000 starting watts. This 4-stroke generator is proudly US-made and one of the top portable power tools because of its quiet operations and clean energy. WEN Products has been around since the early 1950s and have been consistently appreciated by serious consumers for its reliability and excellent construction.
As an inverter, you can be assured of control over voltage spikes or dips. You can use it to power your sensitive electronics without fear of damaging them because its total harmonic distortion is limited to 1.2% at full load.
Other features of this power machine include:
- 79.7 cc OHV engine
- 51 dB at quarter load
- Auto fuel adjustment to save on consumption
- Two 3-pronged outlets, one 12-volt DC, one 5-volt USB
- Capable of connecting to a second generator for additional wattage although the connection kit is sold separately
At 48 pounds, you have everything you need with this although most impressive is that fact that you can add on more power if needed with the connection kit.
DuroStar DS 4000S
The DuroStar DS 4000S has to be one of the top quietest portable generators in the market today. It has immense 3300 running watts and a 4000 starting watts specs and an air-cooled OHV engine. This 7 HP gas powered generator has a super quiet muffler with spark arrestor and a 4 gallon tank. The fuel gauge is simple and easy to understand as is the control panel which has the volt meter, power switch, power outlets, and circuit breaker.
Also impressive is that while this generator is one of the heavier portable machines in our list, it comes with too many goodies to dismiss lightly. Some of the top features include:
- Heavy duty steel frame
- Four independent motor mounts
- Automatic engine shutoff, auto oil shut off, recoil start
- Two 3-pronged 120 volt outlets, one twist-lock outlet
- 8 hours run time
- EPA approved
- 69 dB
- Comes with its own spark plug wrench
- One year warranty
Unlike other portable generators, the DS 4000S can power more because of its higher available wattage including high-power tools. However, it is not CARN-compliant which can be a problem for some consumers.
Honda EU 2000I
The Honda EU 2000I is a 2000 watts inverter generator. Immediately, it must be noted that this is one of the higher-end portable generators. The difference between this generator and the others listed on this list is the way the Honda generator can handle the power continuously without faltering or failing.
This is one dependable machine which is really what you need at a time when you have no other power option but a generator. Thus, you are paying for the incredible reputation of Honda for consistent and reliable performance.
The features of this portable generator include:
- 59 dB maximum/full load
- Honda GX 100 engine, recoil start
- Gasoline powered
- Slightly less than a gallon fuel tank but capable of over 8 hour straight use on one tank at quarter load
- 46 pounds of clean power
- Capable of being used with another power source provided the other power source is compatible with Honda engine
- Oil alert, auto engine shut off, circuit protection against overloading
Finally, while the best choice is the inverter type because it is more fuel and power efficient, there are levels of inverter efficiency that you must be aware of and the Honda EU 2000I is considered one of the top-of-the-line inverter models.
In addition, finding a Honda technician capable of repairing your generator if it breaks down is easy which is a major plus and reassuring guarantee for any consumer. However, it must be said that this Honda portable generator is known to work perfectly for years without fail.
In conclusion, when buying a portable generator, it is important to know these safety tips:
- Generators are typically not recommended for indoor use or used with extension cords because it increases the chance for a fire and carbon monoxide poisoning
- Transfer switches are better than extension cords
- When refueling your generator, allow it to cool down for a while after shutting down and before adding new fuel
- Avoid plugging the generator into a wall outlet or by “backfeeding” because this presents an electrocution risk to neighbors or utility workers
Any of these 5 quietest portable generators will be a great addition in meeting your emergency or recreational needs. They are super quiet machines that deliver clean power when and where you want it.