Quietest portable generators will always be a product of interest especially for campers, cross-country travelers, and those concerned with being prepared for any eventuality.
Generators in general, have come a long way from the first time they were introduced.
Back then, they were huge and astoundingly noisy that made it mandatory for the generators to be housed in a fully enclosed shed or structure to decrease the noise pollution.
Fortunately, that’s no longer the case today and consumers are now equally concerned about getting the quietest portable generator for camping possible.
Top 5 Quietest Portable Generators Comparison Table
|Gas||2000 Watts||4.9 / 5|
|Solar||200 Watts||4.6 / 5|
|Gas||4000 Watts||4.4 / 5|
|Gas||2000 Watts||4.3 / 5|
First, a few quick and important facts about the portable generator:
- You have a choice of overhead cam (OHC) or overhead valve (OHV). OHC valves are generally maintenance-free while OHV valves have a 100-hour mandatory clearance check.
- OHV valves are common in lower-end models
- Select your generator on your wattage requirements
- 5,000 watts can cover just the basics (fridge, sump pump, heater, lights, computer)
- Generators can overheat if you miscalculate your wattage usage
Features of a Great Portable Generator
- Automatic start
- Electric start
- Alternative fuel capacity
- Fuel gauge
- Multiple outlets
- Automatic shut-down
Our Top 5 Quietest Portable Generator Reviews
1. WEN 56200i
The WEN 56200i is a power machine that offers 1600 running watts and 2000 starting watts.
This 4-stroke generator is proudly US-made and one of the top portable power tools because of its quiet operations and clean energy.
WEN Products has been around since the early 1950s and have been consistently appreciated by serious consumers for its reliability and excellent construction.
As an inverter, you can be assured of control over voltage spikes or dips.
You can use it to power your sensitive electronics without fear of damaging them because its total harmonic distortion is limited to 1.2% at full load.
Other features of this power machine include:
- 79.7 cc OHV engine
- 51 dB at quarter load
- Auto fuel adjustment to save on consumption
- Two 3-pronged outlets, one 12-volt DC, one 5-volt USB
- Capable of connecting to a second generator for additional wattage although the connection kit is sold separately
At 48 pounds, you have everything you need with this although most impressive is that fact that you can add on more power if needed with the connection kit.
2. Jackery Portable Power Station
The Jackery Portable Power Station is a 240 watts solar powered generator, that comes complete with a 50w solar panel to recharge and power all of your devices.
It should be noted that this is one of the most affordable and eco-friendly portable generators on the market and we lean heavily towards solar generators.
The difference between this generator and the others listed on this list is the clear noise reduction you get from a solar generator compared to its Gas counterparts.
This is one dependable machine which is really what you need at a time when you have no other power option but a generator.
Thus, you are paying a great price for the incredible reputation of this lightweight device, which will deliver a consistent and reliable performance.
The features of this portable generator include:
- 50 Watt Solar panel
- 240Wh Emergency Backup Lithium Battery
- Solar powered
- 110V/200W Pure Sinewave AC Outlet
- Carport and USB Outputs
- Capable of charging smartphones 18-times, laptops 4-times, Gopro 40-times
- Weighs 6.6 lbs and is 5″ wide x 8″ tall
Finally, one of the main reasons we recommend this as one of the best choices when it comes to choosing a generator for your outdoor adventures, is the lack of maintenance that this device required.
Most Gas powered generators will at some point require servicing and a technician capable of repairing your generator if it breaks down. With a solar genny, that becomes a thing of the past.
3. DuroStar DS 4000S
The DuroStar DS 4000S has to be one of the top quietest portable generators in the market today. It has immense 3300 running watts and a 4000 starting watts specs and an air-cooled OHV engine.
This 7 HP gas powered generator has a super quiet muffler with spark arrestor and a 4-gallon tank.
The fuel gauge is simple and easy to understand as is the control panel which has the voltmeter, power switch, power outlets, and circuit breaker.
Also impressive is that while this generator is one of the heavier portable machines in our list, it comes with too many goodies to dismiss lightly. Some of the top features include:
- Heavy duty steel frame
- Four independent motor mounts
- Automatic engine shutoff, auto oil shut off, recoil start
- Two 3-pronged 120 volt outlets, one twist-lock outlet
- 8 hours run time
- EPA approved
- 69 dB
- Comes with its own spark plug wrench
- One year warranty
Unlike other portable generators, the DS 4000S can power more because of its higher available wattage including high-power tools.
However, it is not CARN-compliant which can be a problem for some consumers.
4. The Yamaha EF2000iSv2
Not only does the 1600 watt Yamaha EF2000iSv2 warrant our highest recommendations because of its performance, it also happens to look pretty cool in camouflage or blue colors.
It has a very quiet muffler enhanced with a US Forest Service-approved spark arrestor that limits noise to 51.5 dB at a quarter load.
With the inverter system that is equipped with Pulse Width Modulation control, you will be able to enjoy excellent fuel economy while being CARB-compliant.
Other features that make this one of the top portable generators include:
- OHV valve engine, gasoline-powered
- 2000 watts maximum clean AC output
- 13.3/16.7 amps, 120 volts
- 44 pounds only
- Smart throttle
- Able to run for 10.5 hours continuously on quarter load, 5 hours on full load
- Equipped with electric overload breaker, auto decompression system
- Comes with a dual coil alternator stator which slows down engine speed
- Centralized control panel with push button start
- Two year warranty
On the downside, you will need oil (bought separately) to run the generator.
Nonetheless, once up and running, this powerhouse portable generator simply delivers incredible and reliable power when you need it – and you can easily have a conversation while standing a couple of feet away!
In conclusion, when buying a portable generator, it is important to know these safety tips:
- Generators are typically not recommended for indoor use or used with extension cords because it increases the chance for a fire and carbon monoxide poisoning
- Transfer switches are better than extension cords
- When refueling your generator, allow it to cool down for a while after shutting down and before adding new fuel
- Avoid plugging the generator into a wall outlet or by “backfeeding” because this presents an electrocution risk to neighbors or utility workers
Any of these 5 quietest portable generators will be a great addition in meeting your emergency or recreational needs. They are super quiet machines that deliver clean power when and where you want it.