The Best Shooting Mat
Lying in the prone position can be an uncomfortable experience, especially if you have debris, rocks and any other kind of dirt and grime you may find lying around. This is why choosing the best shooting mat is as important and the rifle itself.
If you’re uncomfortable, lying at a funny angle or just otherwise disturbed from your most accurate shooting position, it won’t matter how great your gun or gun sight is, you won’t be shooting at your best.
In today’s article, we will review the 6 best shooting mats on the market to help you make an informed decision before you buy.
What to look for when buying a shooting mat
With so many options, we know how tough it can be to make a decision when it comes to buying a shooting mat. So, we’ve narrowed down the field to the best 6 for you.
Before you dive right in, be sure to check out what key attributes you should look for when it comes to a reliable and robust night sight.
Materials & Protection
Shooting mats take a good deal of abuse, and we usually have them for a number of years. So it’s important to get one that is both built to last and offers a good degree of protection from the ground.
Depending on the state you live in and the season, the ground may be wet, it could have snowed or there could be dew on the grass. Either way, you want a mat that will offer protection from water on the ground.
The other key feature when it comes to the materials used is that as a minimum you have a mat with special non-slip sections for the elbows and knees. This will help to maintain you shooting position, as those cheaper mats without this can be very slippery and you can find yourself off of the mat thanks to either the progressive recoil or when on a slight incline.
Some mats are in fact dual purpose, in that they act as both a rifle case and a shooting mat. This is great if you’re looking to save money and carry one less item when hunting or practicing.
As an example, take a look at the NcStar Rifle Case & Shooting Mat (number 6 below). This roll-up mat can also carry your rifle and as a number of other features which makes this a true dual-purpose mat.
Probably one of the most important elements to consider, and one of the main reasons anyone buys a mat is the padding it provides. Having your elbows digging into the ground for hours on end of no one’s idea of fun, so ensure you have padding in the elbow areas.
Some mats also have additional padding for the knees and some have it throughout. If you go for one of these options, be aware that this will make the mat heavier and a little bulkier, which is you don’t plan on carrying the mat any great distance shouldn’t pose a problem.
Top 6 Shooting Mats For The Money
- Package length: 21.844 cm
- Package width: 24.384 cm
- Package height: 49.275 cm
- Product Type: DUFFEL BAG
- Longer and wider with more robust padding
- Heavy sewn webbing to preload your bipod
- Two accessory pockets and two pen pockets
- Elbow and knee pad areas are now made from a lighter colored material that holds well and doesn't ge
- Includes 4 metal stakes
- Rolls up for easy storage and carry. Shooting pad is easy to roll-up with adjustable straps and it is small and light,portable to carry (lightweight: 491g). The buckle is very convenient to use, easy...
- Rolls Out with Enough Space : A simple mat to lay out and keep your body that above the knees out of the mud, dust, or moisture for long-range shooting, hunting or military applications
- Featuring 1000D double-layered Nylon with EPE padding for long-lasting durability and excellent water resistance, which provides a thick comfortable layer of padding between you and the elements.Extra...
- This is a padded version hunting shooting mat.Only a mat for shooters, anything else is not included
- Unfolded size - 78"(L) x 28"(W)/198cm*71cm
- PRONE ROLL UP SHOOTER MATS - Padded Shooting Mat Made of 1000D nylon and EPE padding fabric for long-lasting durability, which provides a thick comfortable layer of padding between you and the...
- EASY STORAGE & CARRY - Shooting pad is easy to roll-up and it is small and light, portable to carry, the one second quick release buckles that allow you to attach to your backpack. Tip: Fold it in...
- UNFOLDED SIZE - 78"(L) x 28.5"(W)/198cm*71cm. Around 33 oz(935g). With handle and molle system for easily carry or transport.
- COMFORTABLE & VERSATILE - Rolled-up Size: 8" x 4" (20cm * 10 cm). A simple mat to lay out and keep your body that above the knees out of the mud, dust, or moisture for long-range shooting, hunting or...
- PERFECT SERVICE - If you have any problem of these shooting mat, don't hesitate to contact with us. We promise to provide you satisfaction guarantee.
- MATERIAL: Constructed by 900D nylon fabric keeps you comfortable during long hours spent in the same prone and kneeling positions. Suitable for advanced shooting and outdoor activities.
- LOW PROFILE AND EASY ROLL UP: Shooting mat's thin, lightweight design features padding only in the elbow area allowing it to roll-up into a 4"x8" roll. Unfolded size: 78.5"x31.5". It's convenient to...
- STAKE-DOWN DESIGN: Tactical shooting mat has metal grommet holes to pin it to the ground during windy conditions. Perfect for long-range shooting, hunting, or military applications.
- EASILY USE: Shooting Mats with two quick-lock buckles are easy to untie and buckle on. Simple mat to layout and keep your body out of the mud, dust, or moisture. Perfect for long-range shooting,...
- MOLLE COMPATIBLE: Shooting Mats with two rows of 1" military spec webbing for securing extra gear if needed. The carry handle makes it portable and easy to carry. We offer 30-days money back of...
In conclusion, the most comfortable shooting mat is an essential tool for any shooter looking to improve their accuracy and comfort while on the range. After thoroughly reviewing and comparing the best products on the market, it’s evident that there is a wide range of options available, each with its own unique features and benefits. Whether you’re a seasoned shooter or just starting out, you can find the perfect shooting mat to meet your needs by considering your specific requirements and budget. Whether you’re looking for portability, durability, or versatility, there is a shooting mat that is perfect for you. With the right shooting mat, you can enjoy hours of comfortable and accurate shooting, no matter what your level of experience may be.