Choosing a reloading scale can be a tough task. There are lots of choices in price, size, features, and capabilities. We’re here to help!
Let’s Start With What Is A Reloading Scale?
A reloading scale is a precision instrument used to measure the weight of components used in reloading ammunition. Reloading involves the process of loading spent cartridges with new components, such as bullets, gunpowder, and primers. The weight of these components is critical to the proper functioning and safety of the ammunition, and a reloading scale is used to ensure that each component is weighed accurately.
Reloading scales come in a variety of styles and designs, but they all have one common purpose: to provide precise measurements of the weight of reloading components. Some reloading scales use a traditional beam-and-pointer design, while others use digital displays and sensors.
The accuracy of a reloading scale is important because even small variations in the weight of components can affect the performance of the ammunition. Reloading scales must be regularly calibrated to ensure that they remain accurate over time.
Reloading scales are a necessary tool for anyone who reloads ammunition, whether it be for sport shooting, hunting, or competition. They allow the reloader to control the quality and consistency of their ammunition, helping to ensure that each round performs as expected.
Should you opt for a cheaper model and hope for the best or do you really need to spend upwards of $300?
In this article, we review the 5 best reloading scales on the market to help make your buying decision easier.
What to look for when buying a reloading scale
There are a few key features and elements to be aware of when buying a reloading scale. Below we take a look at three of those, which, if adhered to will ensure that you choose the best scale at a price that’s right for you and above all will meet your needs for years to come.
Capacity & Surface Size
This kind of scales come in many shapes and size and their load capacity differs widely. You should consider how many rounds of ammunition you will be reloading and how much powder is required for each round.
That will give you an idea of the kind of capacity you will need. Sure, you could measure and weigh multiple times, but having the ability to weigh all of your powder out in a single go speeds the entire process up and leaves less room for error.
How accurate do your reloading scales need to be?
All 5 of the devices reviewed today have an accuracy to +/- 0.1 grain, which is pretty damn accurate. Yo will have to spend thousands to get anything lower than that and for our purpose of reloading ammo, this is more than good enough.
The performance of the scale combines both the capacity and the accuracy, however, there are a few additional features to look for that make them perform above par.
Features such as removable measuring pots and bowls, dust covers to prevent the electronics from getting dirty or damaged. The speed of measurement is also a factor but each can take up to 30 seconds so be sure to look out for that.
Top 5 Best Reloading Scale Reviews
- ACCURACY: 750 grain (50 gram) capacity with 0.1 grain (0.01 gram) accuracy, auto calibration and overload protection
- EASE OF USE: Features an LCD display with blue backlight, an auto shut-off after 60 seconds and is powered by 2 AAA batteries (included)
- VERSATILITY: Measures in grains, grams, ounces and carats and features a tare function and counting function
- DURABLE: Features an integrated protective cover
- INCLUDES: Powder pan, soft carry case and calibration weight
- ACCURACY: 2 calibration weights for 3-point calibration and measures in grains, grams, ounces and carats and features a stability indicator with a 1500 grain (100 gram) capacity and is accurate to 0.1...
- EASE OF USE: Runs off 110V, 220V or 4 AAA batteries (included) with an auto shut-off after 180 seconds and a large easy to read back lit display and simple controls
- VERSATILITY: Features podium indentations to easily index arrow shafts and can measure in tare function
- DURABLE: Molded plastic storage case
- INCLUDES: Scale, calibration weights, metal powder pan, clear protective cover, storage case, 110V power supply and 220V adaptor
- 1500 Grain Capacity
- 0.10 Grain Accuracy
- Easy to Read Digital Display
- Rugged Design
- Included components: Scale, 2-AAA Batteries, Check Weight and Powder Pan
- ✪PROFESSIONAL & ACCURATE✪: Reloading scale Max capacity: 1500 grains (100 grams), resolution: 0.1 gn (0.01g), click "M" key to choose weighing units between grains and grams, the gunpowder scale...
- ✪SCALE with METAL PAN✪: The grain scale comes with a metal pan, the narrow spout powder pan is non-stick( NO ISSUE of CLING). It will enable you to get accurate measurements compared to other...
- ✪DURABLE & PORTABLE✪: Powder scale features with high precision sensor, LCD dispaly, smart saving power function(180s of inactivity), tare function, powder scoop and 50g calibration weight. The...
- ✪VERSATILE & COMPACT✪: The gunpowder scale also can be used as arrow scale, archery scale. The digital pocket scale with .1 gn (.01g) resolution is ideal for weighing cases, cartridges, bullets,...
- ✪CUSTOMER WARRANTY✪: 10 YEARS LIMITED WARRANTY. All the NEOWEIGH digital gn scales are tested separately before shipping. If you have any question, please contact us first, our after-sale service...
- Precision Capacity: Weigh up to 50g with 0.001g accuracy
- Multiple Weighing Units: Measure in g / oz / ozt / dwt / ct / gn
- Versatile Functions: Includes tare function for precise measurements
- Wide Range of Uses: Suitable for powders, jewelry, bullets, and more
- Dual Power Options: Operates with batteries or USB cable
Your budget will likely dictate if this reloading scale and dispenser combo is right for you. Of course, it has much more capacity than a standard scale and is also much more robust and the accuracy is perfect for knocking out round after round.
In conclusion, owning a good reloading scale is essential for anyone who reloads ammunition. A quality reloading scale provides accurate and precise measurements of the weight of reloading components, which is critical to the proper functioning and safety of the ammunition. A good reloading scale allows the reloader to control the quality and consistency of their ammunition, ensuring that each round performs as expected. Whether you are a sport shooter, hunter, or competitive shooter, a reliable and accurate reloading scale is a valuable investment in the pursuit of consistent and safe reloading. By investing in a good reloading scale, you can be confident in the quality of your reloaded ammunition and maximize your performance at the range or in the field.