Choosing a reloading scale can be a tough task. There are lots of choices in price, size, features, and capabilities. We’re here to help!
Let’s Start With What Is A Reloading Scale?
A reloading scale is a precision instrument used to measure the weight of components used in reloading ammunition. Reloading involves the process of loading spent cartridges with new components, such as bullets, gunpowder, and primers. The weight of these components is critical to the proper functioning and safety of the ammunition, and a reloading scale is used to ensure that each component is weighed accurately.
Reloading scales come in a variety of styles and designs, but they all have one common purpose: to provide precise measurements of the weight of reloading components. Some reloading scales use a traditional beam-and-pointer design, while others use digital displays and sensors.
The accuracy of a reloading scale is important because even small variations in the weight of components can affect the performance of the ammunition. Reloading scales must be regularly calibrated to ensure that they remain accurate over time.
Reloading scales are a necessary tool for anyone who reloads ammunition, whether it be for sport shooting, hunting, or competition. They allow the reloader to control the quality and consistency of their ammunition, helping to ensure that each round performs as expected.
Should you opt for a cheaper model and hope for the best or do you really need to spend upwards of $300?
In this article, we review the 5 best reloading scales on the market to help make your buying decision easier.
What to look for when buying a reloading scale
There are a few key features and elements to be aware of when buying a reloading scale. Below we take a look at three of those, which, if adhered to will ensure that you choose the best scale at a price that’s right for you and above all will meet your needs for years to come.
Capacity & Surface Size
This kind of scales come in many shapes and size and their load capacity differs widely. You should consider how many rounds of ammunition you will be reloading and how much powder is required for each round.
That will give you an idea of the kind of capacity you will need. Sure, you could measure and weigh multiple times, but having the ability to weigh all of your powder out in a single go speeds the entire process up and leaves less room for error.
How accurate do your reloading scales need to be?
All 5 of the devices reviewed today have an accuracy to +/- 0.1 grain, which is pretty damn accurate. Yo will have to spend thousands to get anything lower than that and for our purpose of reloading ammo, this is more than good enough.
The performance of the scale combines both the capacity and the accuracy, however, there are a few additional features to look for that make them perform above par.
Features such as removable measuring pots and bowls, dust covers to prevent the electronics from getting dirty or damaged. The speed of measurement is also a factor but each can take up to 30 seconds so be sure to look out for that.
Top 5 Best Reloading Scale Reviews
- ACCURACY: 750 grain (50 gram) capacity with 0.1 grain (0.01 gram) accuracy, auto calibration and overload protection
- EASE OF USE: Features an LCD display with blue backlight, an auto shut-off after 60 seconds and is powered by 2 AAA batteries (included)
- VERSATILITY: Measures in grains, grams, ounces and carats and features a tare function and counting function
- DURABLE: Features an integrated protective cover
- INCLUDES: Powder pan, soft carry case and calibration weight
- ACCURACY: 2 calibration weights for 3-point calibration and measures in grains, grams, ounces and carats and features a stability indicator with a 1500 grain (100 gram) capacity and is accurate to 0.1...
- EASE OF USE: Runs off 110V, 220V or 4 AAA batteries (included) with an auto shut-off after 180 seconds and a large easy to read back lit display and simple controls
- VERSATILITY: Features podium indentations to easily index arrow shafts and can measure in tare function
- DURABLE: Molded plastic storage case
- INCLUDES: Scale, calibration weights, metal powder pan, clear protective cover, storage case, 110V power supply and 220V adaptor
- Perfect Addition to Your Reloading Bench - the Hornady G3-1500 Digital Powder Scale 050104 is a portable, battery operated scale to help handload your own ammunition. It features a precision load cell...
- Hornady Reloading Scale with Precision Measuring - Hornady offers a variety of measuring tools needed to get into the reloading zone and achieve better accuracy, reliable results, and having fun....
- Large, Easy to Read LCD Screen - this powder scale for reloading has backlit display, is quick to setup, easy to use and caliberate, and extremely accurate to 0.1 of a grain. Always calibrate your...
- 1500 Grain Capacity - ideal for weighing large quantities of cases, cartridges, bullets, powder, and similar materials. Reloading scales for ammunition are important to have to know the exact amount...
- For the Reloading Enthusiast - enjoy quick and easy calibration with this precision instrument. This Hornady electronic scale is designed with a small, compact footprint so it takes up less space....
- ACCURACY: Features a self-optimizing powder calibration, auto and manual trickle capability and a +/- 0.1 grain accuracy
- EASE OF USE: Features a large, backlit LCD display with easy-to-see controls
- VERSATILITY: Operate the powder measure from the touch screen or use your phone and the app
- CONVENIENT: The free app features preloaded information such as bullet and powder databases, cartridge list, powder list, bullet database with type, weight, ballistic coefficient and sectional density...
- RELIABLE: Stores load data in the free downloadable app
- 🥇2 Metal Powder Pans: 🥇TOPWEIGH reloading scale comes with 2 metal weighing pans. Powder pans features deep and narrow spout( NO ISSUE of CLING ). Reloaders think metal powder pans are better...
- 🥇Precision & Accurate: 🥇Green reloading scale with a capacity of 1500 grains ( 100 gram )and a precision of 0.1 grain (0.01 gram). 2 weighing units: grains and grams, the small gn scale is EASY...
- 🥇Key Features:🥇 Digital powder scale features with the latest precision weighing sensor, large LCD backlight dispaly, smart saving power function (180s of inactivity), tare function, powder...
- 🥇Small and Professional: 🥇The small grain scale with .1 gn (.01g) resolution is ideal for weighing cases, powder and so on.
- Please read the user manual prior to the first use. If you have any question about the precision reloading scale please contact us first. We will do our best to provide you satisfied solution.
Your budget will likely dictate if this reloading scale and dispenser combo is right for you. Of course, it has much more capacity than a standard scale and is also much more robust and the accuracy is perfect for knocking out round after round.
In conclusion, owning a good reloading scale is essential for anyone who reloads ammunition. A quality reloading scale provides accurate and precise measurements of the weight of reloading components, which is critical to the proper functioning and safety of the ammunition. A good reloading scale allows the reloader to control the quality and consistency of their ammunition, ensuring that each round performs as expected. Whether you are a sport shooter, hunter, or competitive shooter, a reliable and accurate reloading scale is a valuable investment in the pursuit of consistent and safe reloading. By investing in a good reloading scale, you can be confident in the quality of your reloaded ammunition and maximize your performance at the range or in the field.